1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Buzzing sound from the laptop!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by shlem, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shlem

shlem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I got the dv6000t with T5600

I have a buzzing sound come out of it when it's plugged in,
    and more loud when it's on battery

Anyone know what to do?

2. Tim

Tim Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is could just be the hard drive. Is it a continuous buzz or do you hear it start and stop?
    Tim

3. shlem

Reputations:
    It's continuous.
    I don't think it's the hard drive cause it's on the left side and the sound is from the right side and center.

4. dragonesse

dragonesse Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you have a grounding issue which is causing your speakers to buzz -- or such would be my guess. i had that happen before. got a new power adapter and put a new sound card in my laptop to fix it (the grounding issue destroyed my soundcard)

5. shlem

Reputations:
    are you sure it's the speakers?
    even when the sound is off the buzz is going on and no buzz on earphones and external speakers.

6. wobble987

wobble987 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    could be the CPU fan... has this on my macbook... still on the apple center waiting for parts :( (been 2 weeks+ already), is it high pitch buzz? like a bee? but it seems that it is continuous huh? ummm... yeah could be grounding issue also...

7. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    If it's a low loud buzz, try switching the laptop off while it's buzzing. If it slowly winds down then it's the cpu fan. I had a buzzy fan on my old Toshiba Portege.

If it's a high pitch and frequency buzz like a bee... see some of the other suggestions!

8. digital8doug

digital8doug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May be a cooling fan or OD. Turn it upside down to help isolate the sound, be able to provide more info in relation to exhaust vent ports ;) No idea why on battery would be louder :confused: If an internal wire was being brushed by a fan, would think sound stay same.Describe noise better!
    My brand new after market DVR-K06 was silent, but now on startup (~+2 months) w/ a CD inside, makes a noise before the drive spins up & begins reading optical media!

9. shlem

Reputations:
    it's high pitch

is there a fan on the processor other than the one that turns on and off and you can hear it?

10. matt.modica

matt.modica Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you put the laptop under stress, such as playing a game, does the noise change, like getting louder? If so, its most likley a fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.