Buying Refurbished Razer Blade v4 with GTX970M

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by nevaland, Oct 12, 2017.

1. nevaland

nevaland Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Intending to buy refurbished Razer Blade v4 with GTX970M, I know its kinda old and outdated but I want to do some light gaming, but major reason to go for it is about its weight, I travel a lot and want something light gaming laptop.

I read some reviews on it and most of them are saying that the GPU will be outdated soon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here are some basic specs;

Display 14.0" IGZO QHD+, 16:9 Ratio, 3200x1800, with LED backlight, with capacitive multi-touch
    Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M (6GB GDDR5 VRAM, Optimus™ Technology)
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7–6700HQ Quad-Core Processor with Hyper-Threading 2.6GHz / 3.5GHz (Base/Turbo)
    Chipset Mobile Intel® PCHM 100-series chipset, HM170
    Memory 16GB dual-channel onboard memory (DDR4, 2133MHz)
    Storage 256GB SSD (PCIe M.2) 512GB SSD (PCIe M.2)
    Communication Killer™ Wireless-AC 1535 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth® 4.1)
    Power & Battery Compact 165W power adapter
    Built-in 70Wh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
    Approx. Size 0.70 in / 17.9 mm (Height) x 13.6 in / 345 mm (Width) x 9.3 in / 235 mm (Depth)
    Approx. Weight 4.25 lbs / 1.93 kg

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would strongly advise against buying it. The chances of it breaking within 2-3 months are pretty damn high, especially because it's already been broken once. Razer's quality control and customer support are basically the worst in the laptop industry. Mark my words, it will not last.

nevaland and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @nevaland If you bought one, you need to use services of @iunlock to get the machine usable without hitting 80C on low to medium load tasks. Otherwise it will hit lower to upper 90s in a matter of minutes. Look at MSI or Alienware 13 r3 or Dell Inspiron 7000 series.

nevaland and don_svetlio like this.
  4. nevaland

nevaland Newbie

Reputations:
    @don_svetlio Thank you for that, I did not had a good experience with a refurbished Macbook Air which I purchased couple of years ago, but I did not know that Razer's support/service was that bad..I will definitely consider it. Its true that buying refurbished items can be a pain in ass and definitely not a good experience of buying/returning items if they break down again, specially when I will be asking someone to buy it for me from US.

5. nevaland

nevaland Newbie

Reputations:
    @Vasudev I will look at them, portability has to be the primary parameter, I am tired of breaking my back by carrying heavy laptop!

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My cousin got an Omen 15 ax200 with 7700hq and gtx 1050, it is very light almost like macbook air whilst comparing my older PC.
    It did have high temps, so I fixed with undervolt to decrease the temps from 95C to 70C.
    Alienware 13 r3 comes with IPS or OLED though that latter is costly because of the screen.

7. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Normally, refurbs are fine. It's the fact that Razer's PCB design is bloody terrible that makes it risky. A Dell, Lenovo or HP refurb is likely to be issue-free and usually comes with full warranty with extension options. There is a reason why Razer don't offer extensions - they have exactly 0 faith in the product's ability to last past 1 year of use.

SuperContra and Vasudev like this.