Buying an Alienware 15 R3

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by filsdugrand, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filsdugrand

filsdugrand Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

My brave 4 years old Clevo P150EM died on the line of duty a couple days ago, so I'm in the market for a new gaming laptop!

I pretty much setteled on the AW 15 r3 (unless...), but I still have some questions :

1) Should I wait for black friday? is there any more interesting deal to expect by then? An did I get a good deal?
    Here's the quote I got:

Alienware 15 R3 Unit Price $1,901.19 + taxes
    2) How bad are the heating problems? I loved my Clevo but the heating problems are the reason why I'm switching brands!

3) Should I be worried about the light bleed problems for the FHD screen?

4) What kind of RAM does it use? I'm hearing Crucial, but can't find any 2667Mhz! Can someone help me with a link to the right one? I need an extra 8 gigs!

5) I'm planning to change the thermal paste and pads! any advice? brand, types? I don't feel confortable using liquid metal! How much thermal pads will I need?

6) I'm planning on buying a 960EVO 250Gb, good choice?

7) Should I be looking elsewhere for something similar?

Thanks everyone!

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Well... Your not exactly making a great switch. The new AW 15s have some pretty serious heating issues. The heatsink design is flawed and places uneven pressure on the cpus.

The Clevo P650RS on the other hand is very well cooled (closest equivalent).

My own Clevo P650RS has liquid ultra thermal compound on it and the temps stay in the mid to low 70s, but IC Diamond is only a few degrees warmer from most reports.

The 960 Evo is not exactly a good value. All pcie ssds yield diminishing returns. Your not going have faster boots because they take longer to post, and your not going have shorter game load times. I generally recommend pcie ssds for people who do tons of video editing or have huge/unlimited budgets. An 850 Evo would be a smarter value choice if you want a "premium" sata ssd. Otherwise a Sandisk Ultra II will perform nearly the same for less.

Liquid Ultra can be applied for you from HIDEvolution (and maybe like Mythlogic, idk I feel like I'm always saying HID but idk of any other liquid ultra sellers) if your afraid of it, on any brand you want. I would highly suggest going through a reseller like them because of the alarming temp reports if you still insist on Alienware. I'd also strongly recommend undervolting the cpu. I don't see the 120Hz 1080p panel available yet though, so I may contact them about that.

The Aorus X5 is a good alternate sort of, it's a solid amount more expensive unfortunately but otherwise pretty great.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the new AW machines, they can be tamed, but they seem pretty likely to need some intervention on your part to do so. I recommend it in my guide for experienced users only.

Edit: Mythlogic does not offer liquid ultra.

3. davver99

davver99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    mine was delivered wednesday issues with cpu temps and i think ot is the cause of throttling whick has an effect on the gpu o wouldnt advise anyone to order but i guess you might get lucky

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    See AW claimed the issue was fixed on the new ones, but you clearly got a new one and it's still not working...

Papusan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I can almost guarantee you 100%, that the heat + uneven core problems with AW models will continue... It will cost Dell too much money to discard heatsink which is already produced. Therefore ... Do not expect an improvement on hardware level, if at all will happen. Best bet from me is an update of firmware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.