buying acer?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by toddy, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddy

toddy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hello peoples,

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts, experiences, comments, feedback or criticism regarding acer notebooks. I've found some reviews through this internet site and others, and am trying to make an informed decision on my next notebook purchase. Particularly i'm considering both of Acers 803 and 662 (my more humble choice).

I have really read much poor press about either, some were concerned with particular models running hot...

any input would be greatly appreciated, as technical and lay-ish as you like

thanks

todd

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Acer is a good brand, don't hesitate.

A secret I'll let you in on is that a company in Taiwan named Wistron actually manufactures a lot of the Acer notebooks. Wistron has a good reputation for being a good ODM (Original Design Manufacturer). Wistron also makes notebooks for Dell, such as the Latitude D400, so if you buy Acer you're going to get at least as good manufacturing quality as Dell.

I'm not totally sure what the reputation is for Acer support, somebody else would have to offer opinions on that. But rest assured that Acer does make quality notebooks.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'm an Acer fan too...they're just small in the US. They have to be doing something right since Ferrari went with Acer for their braned notebook.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

4. Wardzone

Wardzone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FWIW . . .

The new MobilePC review rated the Acer Travelmate 290 very highly indeed. It had the highest Sysmark (performance) results in the group, using a Pentium M 1.3 chip; 6.4 lbs with a 15" display.

HTH, Wardzone

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  5. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Acer really does make quality notebooks. And I've been told that their customer service has improved signficantly.

My very first notebook was an Acer, bought in 1996 (very pricey $2500 at the time for a pentium 200 mhz and 64 MB Ram with whopping 1 MB video card), I don't use it anymore...but it still works great and I never had any problems with it.

6. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by nesbo
    My very first notebook was an Acer, bought in 1996 (very pricey $2500 at the time for a pentium 200 mhz and 64 MB Ram with whopping 1 MB video card), I don't use it anymore...but it still works great and I never had any problems with it.
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'></font id='quote'>

LOL - the thought of using that notebook today is disturbing. Does it even boot up any more?

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  7. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    That notebook still runs great...I think I even have Age of Empires still installed on it!!

8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Newbie

Reputations:
    I've have two Acer aspire, (Travemate), 800LCI (1.3 Centrino).

As a mobile computer Its a very balanced useable mobile desktop replacement, with just about everything I need included. 4xusb and firewire are nice, as is the built in Bluetooth. I personally much prefer a real desktop PC with a proper CRT monitor myself, but you can't easily carry that around [:)]

It may not mean anything significant, but for the record one of the two died.

here is a synopsis:-

<blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>It fails to boot when started but the fan runs, HDD light initialises then nothing, no post no display, ctrl-alt-delete, restarts to the same no boot problem. This happened about 4 times over a two week period initially but eventually it would boot normally. However its dead now because it doesn't matter how many times you try. As I have another of the same laptop, in using the easily exchangeable parts I have ruled out battery, charger, HDD, both ram sticks, CD drive. Basically its down to either the processor / motherboard or maybe the bios chip, (I also tried clearing the cmos by removing the battery)<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'></font id='quote'>

It wasn't dropped or abused in anyway, although I wasn't overly happy with how hot it ran using the temp controlled fan setting, (in this mode fan is off 90% of the time). Since that one died I set the other to run continuously. The other is working fine two months further on, so maybe it was just a dud? Another thing I dislike, (and this is probably chipset based not Acer in particular), is not knowing what temp the CPU is, I have looked but can't find anyway of monitoring CPU temps? this is more annoying considering the auto fan setting must be getting temp info from somewhere?

A native resolution of 1400 x 1050 is a little odd, I think 1280 x 1024 is more suited to the 15" screen myself. It gives you plenty of desktop acreage, but taskbar icons, etc can look a bit small. Although to me a laptop is not for gaming, 1400 x 1050 also renders just about any potential the reasonable ATI 3D graphics may have for playing, (newer), games, useless. 1280 x 1024 is just about the max I can accept in a top end o/c'd desktop using 9800 pro!

minor things:-

The touch pad is nice to use but maybe a tad over sensitive to tap clicking.

The lid is thin alu, and while it looks nice is very delicate and doesn't offer much protection for the screen. I invested in a alu laptop case, partly for this reason.

It's a shame one died on me, as it's tainted ownership, but It's still a quality built laptop and I'd definitely consider Acer again when I upgrade..

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.