Buying a replacement GPU(980M) advice(P751DM-G)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dichotomy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can usually tell if pads are making contact with the impression they leave on most kinds of pads.

2. Dichotomy

Dichotomy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

TL:DR - Bought "new" GPU from Chinese reseller linked in my first post. Installed it, everything runs perfectly and I'm happy with my purchase.

Thought I'd check back in here. So the card arrived today, from the seller I linked in the original post. It was New as stated, no observed previous useage.

I replaced all the thermal pads on both GPU and CPU sides. I had ordered a range of different sizes on Amazon a coupe of days ago.

I can draw up a blueprint of the pad sizes if anyone wants. But for the thicker ones, I used GELID 3mm and for the rest I used Artic pads 1.5mm-0.5mm.

The only frustration with the installation process was that the new GPU had an Xbracket fitted but the screw sizes were larger than my old GPU screws, thus I lacked the right size screws to connect the bracket and GPU heat sink together.

Anyway, I got the hair dryer out and peeled the old Xbracket off my burned out 980M, I figured it was worth it since it broken anyway. The next problem was that the thin black material between the metal Xbracket and the chipboard was super stuck, and actually separated from the metal xbracket. So I heated it off and then restuck it to the Xbracket, smoothing it as flush as I could. Felt dodgey at the time, but the material didn't look like anything heat related i.e thermal padding.

After that, I popped some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on both the GPU and CPU then reapplied the heat sink.

Everything booted up perfectly first time, I ran up Heaven 4.0 to trial it out. I ran through all the same gaming scenarios where my old card would shut off the whole laptop - no issues. Everything is stable.

Just finished playing COD MW on recommended settings for 30mins, CPU and GPU running at 60 degrees Celsius solidly. I manually adjusted the fans up to 100% to see what the temps would do. Got the GPU runningat 55degrees celsius and the CPU at 60 degrees celsius consistently.

Idle temps are 35-40 degrees Celsius CPU and 42 degrees Celsius GPU. The house heating on and I'm in the smallest room.

I think that's ok? Tbh I remember my thermals being fine before, can't remember how these compare. Not sure what's considered "good" under gaming loads for the P751DMG. Let me know if you have any idea.

Very happy to of solved my issue after about 8 months of knowing about it. Hopefully will get another year out of this thing before i spoil myself with a SFF desktop.

The cost after express shipping and duty import tax was £238.00 . I also have a supposed warranty on the card from the reseller for 190days, but I wouldn't want to try it out haha.

Thanks for all your help, and I'm happy to be of assistance to anyone else who wishes to do the same.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The pressure of being mounted will snugly seat the xbracket, might want to double check your screw tightness in about a week.

4. TheGreatAnonymous

TheGreatAnonymous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice. Glad it worked out for you.