Buying a new laptop for work, or fixing clevo W110er for $400?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Xss, Oct 26, 2017.

?

What to do?

1. Buy new laptop for work at around $400

60.0%
  2. Fix clevo W110er for $400

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So here is the deal: my W110er is dead. The motherboard kicked the bucket, the hinges broke the case: I took it at the repair center of my university and fixing it would cost around $400.

The technician recommended me using that money to purchase a new laptop.
    On the other hand, I highly doubt I would find anything close to the W110er specs with only $400: i7, Nvidia GPU, 11 inches.

I don't use that laptop for gaming anymore but for work...However, even years after it's been released the W110er still has some power under its belt: I can still run some games at 720p at descent speed, I can do work on photoshop, render videos, etc...I doubt any other laptop at $400 could do that.
    I also don't really want to throw it away: I like this little laptop, if it can be fixed, I'd like to give it a try. My plan was to give it to my father: he's buying cheap laptops and they are simply not powerful enough for his needs.

But I am willing on changing my mind if someone can propose a good option: I've looked a bit online, I couldn't find anything good at that price range. But if there is an option out there, I'll take it.

So what do you think? Should I say good-bye to my fellow W110er and buy something new?
    Or buy the spare parts and try to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree they are a good alround laptop and one of the best in their day , I had the same problems with the hinges first they seized up and then started to break the plastic that supports both top and bottom hinges so I dismantled the original hinges and substituted them with basically a metal cylinder that was glued into place making sure the other part could turn but not slip out . I then used epoxy glue to keep it in place , the main problem was that I replaced one hinge at a time,the first hinge frozen stuck so I made a replacement a few months later the second hinge also frozen but each time a hinge got stuck it tore out large bits of plastic so replacing both would have saved most of the damage . If you still need help and you want to try to replace the hinges I will send photos on how it was done and what I used etc

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Newbie

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention this fix will cost at most price of epoxy glue and maybe $2:00 for substitute hinge set up

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I vote repair, much cheaper to do yourself though

Brian Williams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.