Buyers remorse/Anxiety after Open Box Purchase

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by theJTL, May 6, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep. I had a thin 960M notebook while I had my desktop. It did most of the gaming I needed it to and it was surely more portable than my 15R3 but I hated having two machines. I was keeping everything on flash drives or on cloud storage and I got sick of it so I spent the extra money and I haven't looked back.

Also, I meant to mention it in my last post but I bought the Graphics Amplifier off of Amazon for ~$170 which is a steal. It's still that price if anyone is interested.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    External graphics + GTX 1080Ti or Titain X will never be a good deal (or a good idea). Its overkill and overpriced, and they need full desktop CPU to reach potential. The GTX 1070 should be enough to push QHD at max settings in most games. The moment that is not enough in the next GEN, the next gen GTX 1170 will be a third of the price and you put that in the Alienware amp. Overclock it if needed.

TDLR Ti and Titain X graphics cards are a rip off, and no benefit in the Alienware AMP

3. StanJarensky

Reputations:
    Not true at all. It all depends on application/game that you're trying to run. Is it possible for a mobile CPU to bottleneck the card? Of course but on most games, it won't.

A typical Firestrike Ultra score with an i7-4790+1080Ti is about 7200. The average Firestrike Ultra score for a 7700HQ+1080Ti is about 7000-7100.

Firestrike Extreme, you're looking at an average of 12,300 for a 4790+1080Ti and about 11,700 for a 7700HQ+1080Ti.

Now if you're going for 1080p (which if you are, you're wasting a 1080Ti), your average for Firestrike will be about 20,000 for a 4790+1080Ti and about 18,500 for a 7700HQ+1080Ti.

If you spent the extra money for a HK processor, you have even less to worry about. Mobile CPU's aren't too far off of their desktop counterparts, they just have a lower base clock. My 7700HQ generally turbo's to 3.5GHz and has no problem holding it or going higher with sub 75C temps. And 3.5GHz is more than enough to handle a 1080Ti.

Again, if you're running CPU intensive games like Cities: Skylines, you'll notice a difference because of the lower powered CPU. Some games like GTA V that have pretty good optimization you'll also experience a small FPS drop. But most games? You'll be well within 5% of similarly spec'd desktop builds. Which, in my opinion, is a small price to pay for the convenience of having one machine.

Klk450 likes this.
  4. Klk450

Klk450 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Couldn't have said it better. I'm very content with my current set up of a 6700HQ 17R3 and the amp with a GTX1080 FE.

5. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you have a good deal. you could install a gtx1080ti with the amplifier and to avoid fps loss you can use an external monitor

Vasudev likes this.
  6. NA087

NA087 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

T_T no one reads my post. I would agree with you IF the Alienware used a thunderbolt solution. BUT they don't. Infect $170 vs $500 seems like a steal.

I did the calculation I think once in here where I calculate the cost of a Alienware 17 R4 vs a sli gtx 1080 laptop.

The prices are competive (at least in the US it is) + just like how you stated it all depends on the game. It really does. Some games don't support sli.

7. StanJarensky

Reputations:
    What does TB3 matter compared to Alienware's proprietary connection? In fact, in every single benchmark, the Graphics Amplifier beats the Razer Core. You can't use the Core's USB and Ethernet ports without stealing data meant for the GPU while the Graphics Amplifier uses separate data lanes for the USB hub. Also, Alienware's connection is PCI-based so there's less of an overall performance hit with the Graphics Amplifier.

For a GTX 1080 SLI laptop that will perform how it should (no overheating), you're easily looking at $3000. In what world does that compare to the ~$1700 17R4? Hell, you can get a 17R4 for $1700, get the Graphics Amplifier for $170, and a GTX 1080Ti for $700, and you'll have more stable performance than a 1080 SLI laptop for a few hundred (US) less.

8. InvoluntorySoul

InvoluntorySoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    one big downgrade from desktop is the fan noise, at full power, the AW17R4 fan can be really loud without a headset, it is actually one of the louder gaming laptops, the MSI GT73VR is much better and u get better fan control

9. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From a performance perspective 6700HQ or 7700HQ + 1070 @ 1080p 60hz shouldn't cause any remorse. 120hz and higher resoutions, sure, but if you're playing at 1080p there isn't much left to be desired with games out there.

If you jammed a 1080 Ti in there somehow @ 1080p 60 hz the thing would be left with a whole lot of nothing to do. You'd be in a situation where you have more horsepower than there exists good games to play lol. Forumla 1 racecar on a surface street in a traffic jam.

Plug a 4k monitor or a 1440p 120hz monitor in and you'll hate yourself, sure. But 1080p, nahhhh.

10. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also watch out for Crysis 9. When that comes out we'll all be selling our firstborns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.