Buy Now or Wait for Notebook with Windows 11 Preinstalled?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Brawn, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recall a couple of W8 devices having the # on them. Not all that appealing though if you go and replace parts / disassociate the key from the PC. *shrug*

This does explain why less devices are shipping with media for recovery in addition to the partition I just usually wipe the drive and start from scratch when I pick up something new w/o regard to what it ships with. Typically power it up to make sure it works and then rip it apart to swap parts and reconfigure everything.

2. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is the best way as most manufacturers are paid to ship the laptops with all the extra crap nobody will ever use.

Most laptops are no longer shipped with the recovery media as they have a hidden recovery partition. And most units have a piece of software preinstalled, which allows the customer to create the recovery media inside windows or even download recovery media over the internet. All newer Dell machines can just download the recovery image via F12 menu, HP have Windows store app, which downloads recovery media to a usb drive.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @mariussx

I've been messing with this stuff for decades and it never ceases to amaze me how dumb OEM's / MSFT can be with certain things. Of course you can dummy it up for the average consumer to where they can't F it up 99% of the time if they actually follow the procedure. The only annoying thing would be not being able to have the key in an obvious location to be entered if you needed it. I don't subscribe to the whole process of activating windows and just point the server it's trying to reach >> 127.0.0.1 and let it timeout. In my DNS server I block MSFT and all of their sub domains to prevent "patches" being automagically applied. I've tried the disabling them from policies and it just isn't 100% and things sneak through when they shouldn't be able to. Patches used to be useful and now they just break more stuff when fixing 1 thing that broke on the previous patch. Someone needs to teach them the KISS methods again apparently and emphasize the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy as the engineers seem to have forgotten.

4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Only time to go W11 is if it's a pro version or x64 version to get the best usage of your system. Anything Home is basically worthless if you want to change or tweaks settings to your needs. So unless there is some needs for W11 if W10 still works that will be supported from long time to come MS isn't going to alienate that user base that just Switched over to Win10 that would be shooting themselves in the foot or having "Foot-in-Mouth" disease.

Vasudev likes this.