Buy new gaming laptop with GTX1080 Max-Q or GTX1070 graphics?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by justdidso, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justdidso

justdidso Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    Recently I’m looking to buy a new gaming laptop. Mainly targeting high-end model to enhance performance on PUBG, Battlefield I.

Just that I’m not really into a bulky one, as it’s still important for me being able to travel with it sometimes. So I first think of Max-Q design model.
    But then I checked on some testing reviews and seems the results are quite close between the performance out of GTX1080 Max-Q, and that of GTX1070 graphics.

How would you guys recommend between these 2 graphics, for a gaming laptop?
    Simply would like to get some more ideas. Any opinions and sharing are welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    The normal 1070 is about 5% faster or slower depending on the laptops in question. Both perform horribly in PUBG, though. PUBG is just a crappy game in terms of optimization. A Titan XP can get the same performance as a 1070 there.

3. snall

snall Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1080MAXQ, you have the choice of Zephyrus which is slim and light model. 1070, you have more choice. I believe most of gaming laptop brands have this option such as Alienware, MSI, Gigabyte. All depend on what you want to have since their performances are similar. Some 1070 laptops are also slim and light. What’s your budget?

4. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dude just wait 6 months or so for when they announce the new laptops with coffelake mobile chips and the new volta gpus. Right now is the absolute worst time to buy a gaming pc. Thats what im doing im waiting til next year. Itll be worth it trust me. Otherwise if u buy now in about 6 months youll be kicking yourself wishing that youd waited.

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Apparently, Volta is not coming to gamers at all.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/858468-nvidia-skipping-volta-for-gamers-ampere-might-be-next/

6. Ravern87

Reputations:
    thats weird news i definately never expected to read that lol. But in a way it does make a lot of sense. especially considering that we haven't heard a thing or had a single or had a single leak pertaining to volta, which is odd considering all the leaks weve had in the past especially for pascal. So maybe Ampere will be the next arch. GDDR6 is fine with me.

don_svetlio likes this.
  7. justdidso

justdidso Newbie

Reputations:
    Got it, thanks for the information! I think I'll still focus on the GeForce graphics and choose between the 2 options :)

8. justdidso

justdidso Newbie

Reputations:

I know, dude! But 6 months' just too long for me... lol! Got some other issues with current laptop as well, so need a new one soon.

9. justdidso

justdidso Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah absolutely... so meanwhile I'm also checking on some 1070 models. Zephyrus is surely on the list.
    The budget is $2,000 more or less, yet still looking around among the options.

Do you or anyone you know own a Zephyrus maybe? It's be great to have feedback from direct user!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  10. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Ive been struggling with this for while now going back on forth on what to get and when. I really wanted a gaming laptop sooo bad. Now im leaning more toward desktop just so i make it as powerful as possible for gaming. I just feel like if i got a laptop im sacrificing too much for portability.

justdidso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.