But Can It Run Crysis?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mr. Fox, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Knowledge and self control are power. Unfortunately too many people lack it, which causes them other problems as well.

To add onto this, it also gives the provider complete control over your access to games, which I don't like. Service outages are inevitable no matter how robust a network is. I like being able to play my games offline because I'll be able to play them forever, whenever I want and wherever I want. I don't have a problem with these subscription based game streaming services as long as they don't force themselves to be the norm. They're definitely good for people who only play a game once and move on to another one.

I like going back and playing my games over and over again though, so this doesn't fly with me. Additionally, I spend about the same amount of money on games a year as I would pay for one of these subscription services over the span of a year, so they're not worth it for me, and I would never use them even if they were the cheaper option. I hope we still have choices in the future and that streaming services don't acquire a deathgrip on the game market.

Having options is awesome. It allows people with different needs to get what they want. What we don't want to happen is one option being forced on everyone.

killkenny1 likes this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    XCloud is the streaming portion of Game Pass. Otherwise you download the games you want and play offline - no different than Steam.

killkenny1 likes this.
  3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    In case of streaming yes. But for just "renting" you still download to your PC.
    Also don't forget that there are already games which require you to be always online to play them, even single player ones. And digital distribution platforms like Steam et al don't guarantee if they go tits up you will get to keep the games (except for GOG, which let's you download the installer, maybe there are other similar as well).

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Valve has actually planned for Steam's death should it ever occur. Gabe Newell has said himself that Steam users will be able to continue playing their games long after Steam's demise, but he didn't elaborate how. I guess that isn't really a guarantee either, but it suggests it it highly likely Steam games will in fact be playable forever (barring ones that require an internet connection to play).

As for always online games, I don't buy those since they're digital cancer (not talking about multiplayer games, just ones with a singleplayer campaign which contain always online DRM crap). I only get games that can be played offline.

I hope I don't sound like a person with a tinfoil hat here.

JRE84 and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Me too. It's a super rare game that I play MP anymore. It's practically nothing. I pretty much play games to recharge from having to deal with people all day. Not to yet again deal with more people. :)

Mr. Fox and Clamibot like this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    GOG is a good platform for this line of thinking. They already allow you to flat out download and archive installers for all the games they sell, at least all the ones I've seen they do. Not sure if they've walked that back for any specific publisher requests or not.

Clamibot likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Amen to that. You sound like me talking now, LOL. I've said the same thing I don't know how many times... I've lost track.

JRE84 and hfm like this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    does anyone know if this game uses ray traced shadows

9. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I’m not mistaken Crysis Remastered is only limited to ray-traced reflection.

For realistic dynamic lighting they are using SVOGI (some form of raytracing too?).

By the way, during playing with the graphic settings, I found out that when I put raytracing quality from Off to Performance, I got up to 10FPS boost!:eek: In normal RTX ON practice, this should be opposite! lol!

My graphic settings (60FPS+ at 1080p): Objects, Shadows and Vegetation are Medium quality. Others set to Very High quality. Raytracing quality is Performance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    JRE84 and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    im doing all low shaders high raytracing performance averaging 65fps with a 1060 as you all know

Mr. Fox likes this.