Built my first desktop! (KillKenny1, I finally posted this thread...)

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by booboo12, Jan 10, 2016.

1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    About a month ago I put together my first desktop computer. My D630 wasn't getting any younger and I wanted to dabble a bit with gaming. Long time members may remember a brief period where I had a E6420 with dedicated graphics to dabble with but I had to get rid of it mere months later after a fender bender. Since then (like 2012?) I'd been on my 9 year old computer as a primary machine.

My modest build list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus H170-PLUS D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($60.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($159.00 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard ($51.72 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $1132.38
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-10 01:04 EST-0500

The RAM I got was DDR3L and certified for Skylake and the GPU hasn't been bought yet (because I'm impatient as hell...) so the pricing is a bit off from PC Part Picker.

Overall the actual process went well save for having to make a impromptu trip to MicroCenter in Maryland at like 8 PM on a Saturday haha. So far the computer has been great, very stable, and so much faster than my laptop...it's kinda crazy that I've put up with the laptop for so long.

Here's some pics:

Taken right after i organized the cables and closed the back cover that night...kinda tired as hell with ****ty lighting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taken today:
    [​IMG]

Some things I want to do:

*Figure out some sort of filter for the top of the case to keep dust out/from falling in when cleaning.

*Raise the machine off the carpet with one of those wheeled CPU holders

*Get speakers - a 2 channel set would do...it'll allow me to have a easier place to plug in my earbuds.

*Order and install the GPU...then the real fun will be had! :D

Overall, this is something I think every self-respecting computer enthusiast should try. It's rewarding and I cannot wait to do this again in the future as well as upgrade this thing down the road. :)

I guess I do have one question: I couldn't get my monitor to actually display anything over HDMI when I tried it... Dunno if it'll work now that all my drivers and stuff are installed but is there anything specific to check if it doesn't? Connected over DVI now....I guess it doesn't matter since i'll be getting speakers anyway though...

Jarhead, deadsmiley, Apollo13 and 2 others like this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    booboo12 likes this.
  3. booboo12

Reputations:
    Haha yeah...I've been lazy. at least I remembered at all.

Thanks for the suggestion, probably gonna pick it up this Friday.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Drivers shouldn't change whether or not your HDMI connection is working properly. Simply connecting the cable to your monitor/card should suffice. Either your monitor needs to be manually told which input connection to use (via the menu) or your HDMI cable is broken.

5. booboo12

Reputations:
    Bought my fan grate - apparently it'll be a half inch short but meh, more important thing is getting it covered. :)

6. booboo12

Reputations:
    Update time:

The computer continues to work fine. I've never had a lockup or freeze ever which is great. I remain impressed by the Acer monitor - I know that peeps used to give Acer crap here haha but I'm pleased with the design and that it's still working fine. Still haven't gotten a graphics card, and at this point I'm not sure if I'll ever get one - the last thing i need is more time in front of the computer and I'm working to try new hobbies that have me outside.

This means that yes, I could have built a far less expensive computer but hey...this'll last me years and it was a fun learning experience.

Anyway, I did buy a new computer chair. My older chair was a cheap one near the bottom of IKEA's range and I was unsatisfied by it. The gas cylinder would slowly lose air and eventually the arms cracked where the back screwed into them, probably due to me reclining and falling asleep in the chair sometimes (I'm admittedly a big guy...hence those outdoor hobbies).

So I decided to invest in something nicer - the main requirement was that the chair's back must not attach to the chair via the arms. I'm rocking the (apparently PCMR favorite although I had no idea at the time) IKEA Markus chair in dark gray tweed with black mesh and arms.

I. Love. This. Chair.

I love the high back, the adjustable backrest angle, the lumbar support, it's great. Because the chair is taller, I usually don't use the air adjustment so no clue how that's fairing. Because it's technically a chair from their business line, it's got a super long warranty as well so I'm confident in it's ability to last a while.

Oh and well before buying the chair I bought a stand for the PC to sit on so it's off the carpet. I recently checked the lower filter and it was clean but still, it's nice to get it off the ground.

Some issues:

I don't know the best practice for Virtual Memory though - I have 16 gb of RAM as you guys know, and 2 drives ...a SSD and a HDD. Samsung's software said I should turn off Virtual Memory since I have this much RAM to prevent wear on the SSD. I've had it off since I've built the PC and 90% of the time this is fine but there's times where I'll get out of memory error's for Chrome and if I don't close Chrome and relaunch...eventually it'll just kill it on it's own.

Thoughts?

My power light in the power button works only intermittently....not sure if it's some weird power button controller issue or what but I can't be arsed to fix it. I know when it's on so meh.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    killkenny1 likes this.
  7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Generally it's recommended and I also strongly advise to leave at least a couple of gigs for page file.
    There are also some programs which will not work if you don't have any page file at all.
    Previously I ran into a few issues when I had page file set to zero. Since then I always left it at 2 gigs, which are located on SSD and operate my PC trouble free. Had my SSD for more than 3 years now, seems to still work fine (knocks on wood). If you are afraid about wear and tear on SSD, you could allocate your page file to HDD, though it will become slowed.
    Personally I think you shouldn't worry about wear of SSD too much, they have come a long way, and are generally better than they used to be.

See if it's attached correctly to the mobo. Maybe it's not in full contact.
    When I first built my PC, power bottom didn't have the light. I connected it wrong, and they I did it right, everything worked fine.

booboo12 likes this.