Built-in Wireless Advanced Mods

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mnementh, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    I've thought about that quite a bit myself; however, the existing CDMA antennas I've seen for the CF-29 are about half as tall as the CDPD antennae found on the CF-28. You can see how the kewlness factor would be greatly reduced if it looked like one antenna was... stunted.

As for mounting the antenna base to the other side... ANYTHING CAN be done... but there is no space MADE on the right hand side for that antenna base, so expect to do a fair amount of drilling/grinding/Polish engineering, and there is not YET an appropriate rubber corner available to make it LOOK right. I've been considering it myself, just to see if I can make a pair of WIFI antennae for my own CF-28; it just seems to come in second to work lately...

mnem<~~~ Flicks his antennae* BOINGY BOINGY BOINGY BOINGY BOINGY

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Watching mnem's head swell.....

"Look out.... it's gonna blow!"

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:

Heh heh... It IS possible... There is room for the antenna to retract into the LCD... You would just need to fab up the bump-out like the RIM side has. The retracted part actually takes up VERY little space.

Webster's defines "giganterous" as, "behemoth, Brobdingnagian, Bunyanesque, colossal, cyclopean, elephantine, enormous, gargantuan, gigantesque, herculean, heroic, huge, immense, jumbo, mammoth, massive, massy, mastodonic, mighty, monster, monstrous, monumental, mountainous, prodigious, pythonic, stupendous, titanic, tremendous, vast, gigantic" as in, "That antenna mount on that there CF-28 is GIGANTEROUS!!!"

Personally I like the thesaurusical equivalent of "mastodonic"...

<cackling to myself>

4. mnementh

Reputations:
    *Runs away from ToughBook who chases, brandishing a giganterous (and UBER-POINTY) straight pin*

mnem
    EEEEEP!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. dBi

dBi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, Mr. Cdma would suffer bouts of Antenna Envy because he's not as giganterous as would be neighbor Mr. Wifi, but I may enlist him yet. Poor Mr. GPS antenna... he's not feelin too good right about now. Bbbbbbbbbbut anyhoo. :rolleyes:

6. dBi

dBi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As if on cue... this guy shows up | http://tinyurl.com/4r24rx

Appears to be the standard (right-hand) rubber base/standard antenna base (taken from left-side)/then custom GPS antenna? Sound right?

7. mnementh

Reputations:
    *mnem chuckles; a sound not unlike that of a jet engine huffing before it explodes*

Ummm yeah. NO.

What I mean is - this fellow ( along with numerous OTHER fellows on eBay ) appears to be using the STOCK right hand rubber corner, and applying a bit of JB Weld to support the GPS antenna and fill in the gaps on his GPS Hacked unit.

No, WE do not recommend this practice... it is generally a recipe for broken GPS antenna as the JB Weld simply doesn't support the antenna properly, and eventually it WILL get whacked and break.

There has been a great deal of discourse on this forum on this very subject - search "Toughbook Jim Grey antenna" and you'll get some idea of what most of the GPS peeps are trying.

mnem
    Watch out for that falling radio wave! It'll break your GPS Antenna!

8. dBi

dBi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "*mnem chuckles; a sound not unlike that of a jet engine huffing before it explodes*"

Never heard this, but think I can guess!!!!

Now that we're talking about radios, the Jim Grey post was not on my radar :p simply because my attention was on wifi/cdma threads. While I have the OEM GPS and will be exploring it more later, it isn't my first interest and not what brought me to the forum. Seeing the eBay contraption made me think about your response to the right-hand antenna idea.

I am teachable, just new.

*Now exists, ducking from jet engine shrapnel* :eek:

9. stiffnecked

stiffnecked Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went through the WIFI thread in the FAQ for the 29's. Is there a recommended upgrade for the CF-29 MK4 wifi card? Also, has anyone figured out something for using an external antenna? Such as a bulkhead connector in the rear since I wont be using a docking station.

10. peewee3ie

peewee3ie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi to all,

I have just got a cf-28 and a cf-m34. Does any one have the stock antennas for these laptops. i would prefair one for CF-28. I am going to max it out with wifi and bluetooth and hope to try to do the gps mod as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.