Built-in Wireless Advanced Mods

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mnementh, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inspectorgene

inspectorgene Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Mnem, you have to be the Notebook Review version of Jim Carey, or Robin Williams.

Do you pull all this stuff off the top of your head, or is there a database somewhere? :laugh:

2. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    No database... just me foaming at the mind. I've imagined more than once that if I could actually keep notes on all the twisted stuph that comes out of there, I could make a pretty good stand-up routine. I just don't have the stomach for all that up-on-stage crap, although I've ALWAYS been the class clown.:spinny:

But hey - comedy is ALWAYS best when you can play off a good straight man. :wink:

mnem
    You think what comes OUT of my head is weird? You should see what I keep locked away lest it escape...:elvis:

3. tb4me

tb4me Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    M&M,
    You are with out doubt the most amusing poster in any forum I've ever followed.

4. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Thank you!:biggrin:

mnem
    *Bows before an appreciative audience*

5. motodr650

motodr650 Newbie

Reputations:
    i am new here and i have been searching non stop for the past week probably like 3hrs a night, then about 5 hours on sat and sunday. i Have been trying to find where to get a factory antenna for my cf28 for some time now and i cant find one anywhere, i have been trying to find a cheap pats unit that includes one but no luck. does anyone have one that would like to part with it i will pay. I would like to hack it and use it for my internal wifi card. i just got http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360038398765&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=023
    and i was going to order a pigtail but i dont know what to do, if i don't have the antenna yet. i have a cf28 w/pentium 3 1000mhz, 30g hd, 256mb of ram, and touchscreen.

6. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I have a bunch of the RIM antennas. They are longer than the true wifi antennas but the wiring appears to be the same as does the little SMD works under the base cover. Where do you live?

BTW... Heartlandsi.com lists them for like $54 each... (Crazy, I know!) But I am not sure if they are even available from them.

7. TB28fan

TB28fan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I did the mods in this thread for the built in antenna, but while I wait for my ufl to ufl cable I'll ask this convoluted question. I currently have my wifi card connected from its "main" connection to my side mounted rp-sma, with the "aux" connection on the card open. When I get my cable in do I want to make the built in antenna the "main" and my rp-sma the "aux", or leave as is and connect the built in antenna to the "aux" connector?

Thanks,

Mark

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    It really shouldn't make a difference. Though I usually connect my internal antenna to the main and the SMA connection to the AUX.... But they should be the same. It's not like a 75/25 spolit in power or anything. It should be 50/50.

9. dBi

dBi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How thick is the RIM cable? 50 ohm? I read your another post about the length needing to be shorter for 802.11b/g.

Let me dream BIG and ask this....

What about a (wifi) dual-band mod antenna for 802.11b/g/a/n (2.4GHz,5GHz) on the left - with a dual-band mod for EVDO (900MHz,1800MHz) on the right?

Do the OEM antenna mounts, that I've only seen mounted on the left, fit on the right side of the LCD?

Methinks the coolness factor would be giganterous... oh and it would be technically superior in functionality too with the mounting at the highest point without obstruction. But the coolness/originality factor, first please! :cool:

10. TB28fan

TB28fan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure about it. It'll be nice to not have to connect an antenna for close quarter wifi, but yet have the option of connecting other antennas when needed. Thanks to Mnem for the great pics and research on the antenna mod. The mmcx to ufl adapter was a great idea!

Hmmmm, might be time to start reading up on that aftermarket GPS thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.