Building laptop from scratch

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by SantaClaws, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do NOT my friend, I repeat, dO not listen the the haters and troll that roam around this forum. They just jealous of your idea. That which you are trying to build although time consuming CAN be done with enough effort patient and in telligence. I will provide links to a website where you can see how other peoples work!!

see pictures!!:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DIY LAPTOP - YouTube

2. ThinkLover

ThinkLover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL! :eek:

If you call this thing laptop/notebook, then my definition of the same word is actually completly different...

This thing is just basicly PC in poorly done, ugly, big and completly impractice case...

Not sure if you are serious
    or just trollin'

3. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    yeah that's really CHEAP and PORTABLE.
    battery life 0 seconds.

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    I recall Intel going after some people putting them on the market, the ones who had initial access to the ES CPUs and either sold them to resellers or particulars. I don't know what the outcome was. Anyways, many here have ES CPUs and you can even see it in their signature.

It's possible that the rules were different at one point, however, i went through the rule thread as well as consulted other mods just to make sure it was ok to discuss ES CPUs. Haven't heard from Charles, i'd be surprised if he says otherwise, but if he does, i'll let you know.

As for building a laptop from scratch, one that has the form factor of a laptop is not gonna happen the same way you can with a desktop. The best you can do as others said is going with barebone.

Technically, it can be done, but you'd have to either have a chassis designed and built for a particular motherboard and the other components you want or you'd have to design chassis and mainboard so it would take other components available then have them made custom for a rather large price.

The other closest thing is a small form factor desktop with some minor modification, that however is not a laptop.

Slightly OT, but didn't Intel try to push for that at one point and it didn't take off?

5. Ferrari353

Ferrari353 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's one sexy DIY laptop there. It looks like it's just a hair too thick to be considered an ultrabook, but man, it's so close....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

6. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    taking the idea from the DIY desktop / transportable it is possible to make somekind of device that would be similar to a notebook. but there are many issues.
    desktop parts aren't made for portability. they consume much more power, space and have higher TDP's. also the porpose of building something cheaper will be ruined by the extensive modding needed to achieve somekind of portability.
    Also performance wouldn't be great because in order to meet the portability requirement.

with that said it's really easy to make a notebook. the cheapest and easiest one I known off is using a raspberry pi. it won't run crysis or windows but it will run linux and it's usefull.

other idea is to mini itx motherboards. atom ones will give nice portability but not so great performance.
    non atom it will give a good performance but not so great battery life. the cpu can be downclocked. problem is the graphic card. it's hard to find motherboards that support MXM and MXM cards are also hard to find and expensive.
    desktop ones consume too much power. but a compromise can be achieved. an AMD HD 7750 consumes a very impressive 50W at load. it's a great card.

for the cooling it's easy to adapt other notebook coolers if neeeded.
    for the lcd notebook lcd's can be used if the LVDS can be hacked. if not it's hard to adapt a desktop display but there are alternatives like small portable 14" usb displays.
    for the battery it's easy to do need to known about electronics. the good part is that you can make a battery the size you want.

you might want to check about car pc's. they are small and some perform well.

but in the end like I said. for cost saving porposes is just stupid. costs will be much higher then any notebook. it will also be bulky, heavy and not portable.
    possibly it can perform resonably but not as good as high end notebooks.

other thing you might find usefull is to search for xbox and ps3 mods. it can give you great ideas.

7. phill1978

phill1978 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    presumably raspberry pi placed on the back of a cheap tablet screen with video in with a keyboard docking station would work for you?

personally if you want to do something different buy a slightly older laptop off ebay and muck around with upgrades :) you could get a touch / swivel screen and make it into a touch screen router / nas / or anything

8. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    raspberry pi is expensive. ok cheap without add ons. but consider this, for less then 100$ you can get a cheap android tablet that already has:
    battery
    charger
    display
    input method (touchscreen)
    more performance
    wifi
    bluetooth
    webcam
    gps
    and so on.

if you add all this the price will be much higher then a cheap tablet.

there are also other micro pc's like raspberry pi.
    but imo the best way to get a working pc is really buying a cheap tablet.
    don't get me wrong raspberry pi is great. I've one and I love it. But I use it for other kinds applications.

9. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It not impossible, just very, very difficult. In fact, I think its a very good idea. However, I also think the OP needs to do a lot more research. The first thing I would do is design the form factor. Start with the case--since thats what will sell your laptop--and move out from there.

10. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    I wonder if it is cost effective when comparing to high end notebooks because they are very expensive. let's compare about the same performance.

M18x
    18.4" (60Hz) WideFHD WLED (1920x1080)
    Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM
    2x AMD 7970M
    8Gb sodimm
    no HDD
    Slot Load DVDRW/CDRW Drive
    wifi
    bluetooth
    = $2670

mini itx
    $100 mini itx motherboard
    $200 i5-3450S
    $250 AMD 7850
    $50 8gb DDR3
    $100 18" LCD
    =700

so we have about $2000 for the chassis, battery, keyboard, charger, assembly, cooling etc etc.
    so it may be cost effective but imo only at high end.

another better alternative is to wait for a cheap thunderbolt notebook. add a powerfull cpu and add a thunderbolt egpu. it will have the same performance of a desktop while being very portable at a very low price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.