Build a Mini PC with a Micro-STX MOBO and MXM Gpu

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by sicily428, Jun 12, 2017.

1. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I was looking for a way to assemble a small pc using a mxm gpu and I've found this thread.
    Basically I have a GTX 770M mxm card (yes I know it's old and slow but it would be perfect for what I need), some RAM and an SSD that I'm not using from an old laptop, I don't want to sell them and I was wondering if it could be possible to assemble a PC using one of these motherboards that you have posted and see if you guys have any suggestions.

2. gnomKOLIN

gnomKOLIN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Here your possible ways:
    - Expensive but easyer way - is to buy branded mini PC with MXM slot. No guarantees that your card will work without any isues.
    - Very expensive - is to buy branded embeded industrial motherboard with MXM. No guarantees that your card will work without any isues, but best support.
    - Less expensive but more difficlt - is to find laptop or AIO motherboard with MXM slot make custom DIY case for it. Chances that your card will work will work well are higher.
    - Less expensive but less safe - is to buy noname embeded industrial motherboard with MXM from china. No guarantees that your card will work without any isues.

I got ZO-H110T2-1CD8 and ECS h81h3-ti. Also I got 2 standard MXM cards Aetina 970m and Asrock HD7850m. Here what I noticed:
    - In h81h3-ti
    - HD7850m works fine without any issues.
    - 970m works only with compatible vbios (with incomatible - code 43), but I could not get switchable graphics to work (may be mod driver will solve problem, but I dont know how should I do it for this motherboard).
    - In ZO-H110T2-1CD8
    - HD7850m works fine without any issues.
    - 970m doesnt work with any vbios I've tryed. Or black screen, or code 43.

What interesting - 970m works perfectley in clevo p751tm laptop, with ANY vbios I tryed.

Sorry for my not perfect english.

uugui shi likes this.
  3. uugui shi

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help! I had considered al the options you mentioned but I didn't consider the possible problems that will require another vbios, and the card is pretty old already so that may cause even more problems, it is also hard to find people that will send stuff in italy (where I live). Maybe if I find one of those mini PC on ebay at a low price I could try.

4. gnomKOLIN

Reputations:
    If you have enough money, I'd suggest you to try Asrock IPC-h110 or Asrock IPC-q170
    But they realy expensive - around 450$ for h110 model without gpu.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and uugui shi like this.
  5. uugui shi

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't want to spend alot as this is just to put these old components to use but I'll look into it, thanks!

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    if you are interested , I might part with my MSI Vortex. You can run dual MXM GPU.

it can pretty much take 7 series and above MXM GPU, and max out to a full blown GTX 1080.

7. gnomKOLIN

Reputations:
  8. gnomKOLIN

Reputations:
  9. gnomKOLIN

Reputations:
  10. gnomKOLIN

Reputations: