Budget Laptop under 900?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Blake8705, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake8705

Blake8705 Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $800 Preferably, 900 absolute max.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Either D or E
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    United States of America

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Any brand is fine, so long as the parts used are of decent quality.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Microsoft Office and League of Legends (I will not be playing any other games, just this one).

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, however portability isn't a big issue for me. I'd honestly prefer a bigger laptop so it cools better while under load. I will mainly use it at a desk or in my truck.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, League of Legends. No other games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Battery doesn't matter. It will almost always be plugged in.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Either is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 7/10. OS isn't really a deal breaker.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1920x1080 minimum. Pref w/ an IPS display? I'm not really sure, I just know that I'm looking at the screen often times with the glare of the sun. Whichever display will reduce that glare best, or be most visible in outside lighting conditions (I have tinted windows in my truck, but light still gets through).

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte seems necessary for my intended use, but I really do love the look of a glossy screen.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No at all.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    In the next week or two.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least a couple years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD Mandatory, really only need 128/256GB. I won't be downloading large files aside from the game I'm playing.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

--------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm trying to find a laptop to keep with me just to play League of Legends and possibly do some light office work. Currently I'm using a Dell E5550 w/ a 5th Gen i5 and onboard graphics. I run League on medium settings with slight FPS drop when a lot is going on (not game breaking).

Ideally I'd like to buy something under 850 USD that can run League on high/ultra with 60 FPS. I don't believe it is a very demanding game in terms of today's computers but I could be wrong. I've asked some others, but they always seem to recommend some ridiculously overkill rig that costs upwards of 2000 dollars. I really don't believe I need anything that fancy for such a low spec game.

I'd prefer an i5 or equivalent as I believe they run cooler. I had a laptop prior to this one with an i7 (was an ultrabook) and it kept overheating. So something with an i5 and dual fans maybe? This bulkier the laptop the better I would think. My current Dell doesn't seem to get very hot (that I've noticed) and it is just a basic laptop size (around 1" thick), but the thinner laptops I've tried all heat up. I know there really isn't a laptop that will run cool, but the cooler the better. Also weight isn't an issue. I really don't care if the laptop weighs 20lbs, I'll just throw it in my bag.

So the main things I'm trying to find in my price range: 1920x1080 Res, Dedicated Graphics, Dual Fans, Bulky. A bright Display for visibility outdoors, and a decent keyboard (I wanted mechanical but apparently only MSI makes that and its on a very expensive rig).

Can anyone out there point me to something that may fit the bill here? I can cut corners where necessary, I just want to be sure and get the best bang for my buck in regards to what I'll be using it for. Thanks!

2. nixliu

nixliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how about lenovo y520
    which brand you perfer?

3. Blake8705

Blake8705 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't really have a brand preference. I mean I'll be reformatting the hard drive on any new laptop, so any bloatware or anything is irrelevant.

I actually looked at the Y520, but in a couple reviews they said the screen was dim which was a big turn off for me since I use it in my truck at times.

4. Mesyng

Mesyng Newbie

Reputations:
    do you want something with gtx 10XX ?
    also where do you want to buy it?

5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HP Pavilion Power 15, Acer Aspire 5 (MX150 graphics), asus fx503vm (gtx 1050), lenovo ideapad 720s 15" (might be a little expensive, you'll have to shop around). I highly doubt that you'll find a colour accurate, bright ips display in a laptop which has discrete graphics for under $1000. Personally, I'd go with Pavilion Power 15, you can get it for $699 here (base model). It has a 250nit matte display if you choose the base display model. If you want a better screen, I'd suggest you upgrade the screen yourself to something like a B156HAN01.2 (matte, 250nits) or LP156WF6-SPB5 (glossy, 300nits).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.