Budget laptop advice

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bbgarnett, Jun 13, 2020.

1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Newbie

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? under $400 probably

2) What size notebook would you prefer? C. 13" - 15" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? U.S.A

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Dell
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? web browsing/email, Libre Office. So just the basics

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mainly on a Desk but sometimes to different places.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? Solitaire

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not sure laptop will mainly be on a desk plugged in all the time. Current laptop has never had a working battery at least since I've owned it and so it's always been plugged in 24/7. So whatever is considered decent to good battery life I guess.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Either or doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1080P or 4K, but I guess 720P might be fine assuming IPS panel. everyone seems to complain about 720P TN panels it seems. Also currently our T410 is plugged into an external 1080P monitor

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Not really sure currently have a Lenovo T410 and am using it plugged into an External HP 1080P monitor

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? doesn't really make a difference to me. Coming from a Lenovo T410 which is very business looking so I could care less either way

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? Currently have 120GB SSD in the current machine so probably no more than 256 GB would be needed. Also current machine has 8GB ram 2 X 4GB so would probably prefer similar unless you really think it's overkill or wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Also AMD Ryzen or Intel processor? Doesn't matter to me but it seems to me that Ryzen processors offer a lot of bang for the buck in comparison to similarly priced Intel machines from what I've heard.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? whenever

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 5 years????

18) How long could you afford to go without your laptop if it were to fail? not sure just using this for home use so could possibly get by with another machine in the house.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? On site warranty not needed.

I myself am experienced with computers not an expert by any means but not a novice. This is for my mom though who I more or less would consider a novice. She always asks me for help anyways so i'd be fixing things if they aren't working.
    ==========

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, I was going to suggest a dell 14 5000 since I am having great experience with mine. But you are not liking dell. So I would suggest an acer of the size and price point you are looking for. Acer has great devices, and I find great service after the sale too. I have owned about 30 acers in the past 15 years or so with none having trouble other than batteries which are a wear item anyways. I had an acer 15" from walmart. paid like 350 bucks cdn for it, had 500gb drive, 4gb of ram back in 2011. He dropped it down a full flight of hard wood stairs with no ill effects other than 2 keys popped off the keyboard. I had terrible experiences with both Asus (would never buy anything from this company), and HP. HP did fix my device but it was a flawed design and after the third motherboard I traded it in for my acer 17".

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For that budget I think I'd walk into a Walmart and see what's there. Add a warranty (but be careful not to spend more than 20 percent of the notebook's price on it) if you're unsure about longevity. But my experience is that there are some pretty solid notebooks for the money there if you're not spending a lot.

As an alternative, I mirror the Dell Latitude suggestion. You can try in the Dell Business Outlet for a Latitude 3000 or, if you get lucky, a 5000 series; be sure to check for coupons.

Charles