BSEL Mod on a socket P explained with photos

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by naton, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'm sure MH knows this already... but I thought I'd mention if for others.

This is a known problem with Intel chipsets. If you put your T7300 into a NVidia or AMD chipset and do a BSEL mod it won't lock the multiplier. This is Intel's way of preventing overclocking. You could get around this by doing a PLL FSLx mod so the CPU/chipset believes it's receiving a 200Mhz FSB signal, but the PLL is outputting 266Mhz instead. Requires altered RAM timings as well.

Only exception being SU4100/SU7300 CPUs can be successfully BSEL modded to 266Mhz. This is how the Alienware M11x and Asus ULx0VT systems do their overclocks.

2. Pantha

Pantha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a similar mod for the Merom chipsets? I have a 945GM based motherboard

Also i haven't found any socket M CPUs working at an fsb of 200 so why does the chipset even support that? i'm confused as to how its been pushed from 133 to 200 by a mod. Will i need DDR2 800MHz ram?

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. Pantha

Pantha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. crayonyes

crayonyes Custom Title! WooHoooo !!

Reputations:
    Hi uXsPeSr, can you share about cpu temperature after the PLL mod ? :D

6. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I just tried the vid mod and took my SP9400 from 1.15V to 1.35V because my CPU was unstable around 3.3ghz. Well it worked fine, but my power adapter must not be good enough because when I ran intelburntest at 3.3ghz my notebook turned off straight away.

7. Andynerd

Andynerd Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for this tutorial It worker perfectly for the Celeron M 540!! I got it to 2.79Ghz at 45 degrees idle and 75 on load (It's stable too it ran on a stress tester for and hour and didn't die or go above 75 degrees.) This was done on my Acer Aspire 5315!

I don't understand though the computer doesn't feel any faster. My Old laptop was pin modded from 1.5 to 2 ghz and there was a huge difference but my new laptop has almost a ghz of overclock and not much change. Could the 2x512mb ddr2 ram modules running at 333mhz be bottle necking it?

Attached Files:

8. uXsPeSr

uXsPeSr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Cranyones: I 'm on tour, w/o m1330 laptop, but temperature are around 70ºCelcius, and my GPU are Heatsink modded to overclocking.
    see: http://top10hardware.com/validate/uXsPeSr

9. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I see that a lot has been discussed while I was a way.

Guys I have been doing some research myself. I had access the other day to a laptop with an nvidia GPU and intel chipset and I can confirm that the Bsel mod won't work with this combination of GPU/Chipset. The mod will yield to the CPU been locked on its lowest multiplier.

The other thing I've discoved is that the mod will work on laptops with SiS GPU/Chipset. I Bsel moded a T2310 (socket P) on an EiSystem laptop by increasing the FSB from 133Mhz to 166Mhz. As a result, now my T2310 maximum frequency is 1.83Ghz instead of the original 1.46Ghz. I tried 133 to 200 but could get it to work. The laptop either boots into a balck screen, or it boot into the bios but refuses to load the OS. I think upping the voltage is required to get the T2310 to run stable at 2.2Ghz.

The thing that has been bothering me is that @ 1.83Ghz the CPU is stable with a vcore of 0.975v. So how comes that at 2.2Ghz even the max default of 1,25v is not enough?

10. miguelcba21

miguelcba21 Newbie

Reputations:
    I´ve a acer 5315 with a celeron 550 (2ghz) overclocked with fsb and voltmod at 3ghz. The difference is huge!(near 80º in summer, very hot) Now i´ve upgraded the cpu and i´ve now a t5900 (2,2ghz merom 800fsb) The overclocked celeron runs faster in everything, i think that 1 powerful cpu is better than 2 cpus, but the battery life is better with the t5900 from 1:30 hs celeron vs 3 hs t5900.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.