Brought a MSI GTX 1070 for a dell m7710

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cooldex, Jul 9, 2017.

?

who think it will work

1. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes

63.6%
  3. unsure

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Updated the bios, didn't really do much except slow down the processor slightly due to the spectre/meltdown patch, to be honest I'm fine with that though as it overclocks to 4GHz.

Thank you for showing me what to put in the inf file, I have a feeling it may possibly work this time, if not then I know that the graphics card is faulty and I can return it to eurocom for the odd shaped MSI one.

You might not know this but I modded my clevo laptop with a 6700k to run a gtx 1070 msi odd shaped one and added a 4k screen to it. So I had experience with that card, this new standard mxm card has a different vbios that is prone to have power management issues as you can see here by typing this in google: 86.04.31.00.0C -- my gtx 1070 vbios. You can see that this card is from an msi laptop and that many users experience issues with nvidia drivers due to vbios issues.

If this is the case, is there anyway you can give me your vbios? That would be REALLY helpful. Of course that is if the driver inf mod doesn't work.

Thanks for the help @cooldex

2. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I got to the rebooting stage of the laptop after installing the gtx 1070 driver now I cannot install the intel HD 530 driver as the laptop is frozen on the lock screen. This happens even after restarting the laptop.

Is the gpu dead?

Would you say it’s better to send the card back to them or to try your vbios, will that void their warranty?

EDIT: got the computer to boot after shutting it down 3-4 times on the frozen lock screen. Installed the intel hd 530 driver but the gtx 1070 says code 43 on it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    So I requested a return and the seller accepted, I am very pleased about @Eurocom Support communication even though the card does not work with my system.

I will be buying a Quadro P5000 mxm or another MSI gtx 1070 mxm from taobao so that @sicily428 has something to add to the mxm upgrade section, oh also I did a subwoofer mod and the 4k upgrade.

The reason for the Quadro P5000? Well I won't have to go through all this optimus bullcrap and the dedicated card can be used WITHOUT switchable graphics as my dell officially supports it. On top of that it will offer gtx 1070 performance and be amazing in rendering. I am willing to pay another £200 just so that my laptop function properly without the need of a modded inf driver on every update.

Thanks again @cooldex, I probably wouldn't have got this far without your info.

sicily428 likes this.
  4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Your not supposed to be able to flash Pascal cards with NVFlash like you could Maxwell and previous.

5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    You were able to return the card, awesome. See, just had to contact them. Cheers !

6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I have flashed the gtx 1070 msi g-sync in my clevo to non-gysnc using nvflasher. So I think it is possible to flash vbios of pascal cards using nvflasher. The reason it did not work with this card is because I deleted the driver, once I installed the driver and got code 43 I had the choice to change the vbios, it was going to let me do it if I clicked 'y' but I did not as that would probably void my warranty.

7. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yep, as I said eurocom support is pretty good!

8. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well at least you'll be able to get a refund, hope the other cards works better then that one

9. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Screenshot (53).png

I FORGOT TO UPLOAD A DECENT BENCHMARK, AND SOME REASON MY CPU ALWAYS HAS A CORE THAT OVERHEATS

10. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I would recommend putting thermal grizzly metal paste on the cpu with a earbud, put a pea sized dot of liquid metal on the cpu and space it out on the cpu die. Do the same with the contact location on the cpu heatsink, temps should go down by 10-15c with good contact.

Hope this solves the issue, it is unfortunate that your other board died as it was overclockable, even the best intel xeon mobile cpu will get destroyed by a 6920hq overclocked to 4GHz which is equivalent to a stock i7-6700k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.