Brought a MSI GTX 1070 for a dell m7710

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cooldex, Jul 9, 2017.

?

who think it will work

1. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes

66.7%
  3. unsure

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In my experience you need 3 lines in your section for full optimus support and that will resolve at least some of your issues

2. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    @cooldex

through rplacd/optimus.md

I learned of the following lines were needed to get optimus to work correctly
    NVOptimusHCloneDisabled = 1
    NVSupportOptimus = 1
    NvSupportMSHybrid = 1

I know for certain that even with "NVSupportOptimus = 1" alone I could not get my system to choose my 1070 for games if the display in question needed to go through my iGPU first but once I added the other 2 lines to the section I used it worked like a charm

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 12:16 PM
  3. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    alright try those lines and i also was think of flashing the vbios to msi no gsync, you think that be feasible

4. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I can't speak to how a gsync bios with what i assume is a nongsync screen might effect the proceedings, maybe @Prema can shed some light

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 2:37 AM
  5. cooldex

Reputations:
    hey i also notice that those are within different sections ima make sure i used the section that contain those lines now, i was going to use 007 as the pic below but should i use something in the triple digits containing optimus

Attached Files:

6. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I'm no expert in sections but I'd suggest using a section that was already intended for your laptop and simply adding these lines if needed and I wsh someone had suggested that to me when I was going through these same motions lol

7. cooldex

Reputations:
    yea but this a pain staking process, but this the whole reason i brought this laptop to be able to swap out to any gpu i wanted

ChanceJackson likes this.
  8. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    Bolded for emphasis

9. cooldex

Reputations:
    So pretty much finished, 2hrs stable with intel & nvidia driver installed, multiple games and stress tests, firestrike benchmark. It can do better but considering it only using nomore then 83% load @120w max (fluctuating) but atleast all the games i tested, it is always above 30fps maxed out at 4k for now. I think it was the intel drivers screwing me, cause the last fix was the latest intel driver from their website instead of dell, i had to use section 007 in driver inf (tried about 50sections; delete driver, restart, type in new perimeters, install driver,restart, test stability, install intel drivers, restart, test stability ,crash restart) and on. So the temps aren't bad, cpu throttling at 99c (no new paste since gpu install) the 1070 gets about around 90c but looks like it'll hit 100c+ doing stress test, but later on I'll get some thermal pads and paste, that should get everything in control. So for booting wise the intel 530 gets you to windows and that environment, and the 1070 take over for any app you setup in nvidia control panel. So its done and definitely a worthy upgrade for a dell precision m7710, that will set you back to 500$ (noodles and vienna/turkey sandwitches aren't that bad). this sure put my 4770k and rx480 to shame test below

Attached Files:

10. sicily428

sicily428 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    temperatures are not similar between cpu cores. may be that cpu needs a repaste