Broken GTX 980M

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Darker01, Nov 11, 2017.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Yeah I've been keeping good stock supply on the Grizzly pads, I fell in love with them about a year ago, and always offer them at cost, which is not very expensive at all frankly. What I like about them though, is they last, and do not break up or become brittle when you change, they also do not squish too too much either, so that there's these indents that make them thinner over time - instead they stay as thick as they should be, while being squished does make them thinner it doesn't destroy them and they do not become ruined by it and become paper thin.

Darker01 likes this.
  2. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I ran Heaven benchmark 15 times and had HWInfo64 logged GPU stats the entire time. The card consistently drew ~100W for about 1 hour total with about 10-20s of down time between each test. Given that 5/6 added MOSFETs were brand new, I think the card should last for quite some time now. Results + log file are attached.
    It struck me as odd that having AA disabled during the first run caused the card to cap out on power consumption. Runs 2 to 14 all have AA enabled.

I guess that's it for now. I think I'll Dremel the bottom plate to improve air flow somewhat and then build a cooling pad built for the P750ZM. I'll compile all of the information I learned thus far and add it to the 1st post some time later next week.

Attached Files:

NGX83 likes this.
  3. NGX83

NGX83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Such a great job. Thanks a lot for your feedback and your pictures, i can do this for my GTX 980M, to increase overclocking stability now.

Thanks again, and have fun with your modded GTX 980M.

Darker01 and Vasudev like this.
  4. Kostasgreece

Kostasgreece Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello. I read all your comments and I have a problem with my 980m. I bought it faulty and it was shorted circuit. I changed the shorted up1642p and 1 shorted mosfet csd87350 of the 3 , but sometimes after a hour in gaming shut down the laptop. is any solution for me?

5. Darker01

Reputations:
    Hard to tell without things like GPU temperature and power draw, but if the laptop shuts down black screen during high load, I think it is hardware. Could be poor contact between the replaced MOSFETs and the original thermal pads. The original ones on the heatsink was falling apart when I took the card out, and I had to buy replacement pads for them.

6. Kostasgreece

Reputations:
    thank you for your answer, I changing now the thermal pads . when I say it's shutdown I mean it is closing all the system and I push again the power button. the temperature of the gpu is max 70-80 degrees celcium. the laptop is a eurocom p150em . it is better to use it without the battery?

7. Darker01

Reputations:
    My 980M maxes out at 65*C during Heaven Unigine benchmarking. 70-80*C seems high to me. Try reapplying the thermal paste.

8. Kostasgreece

Reputations:
    I use the xilence thermal paste and i will be waiting for the mx-4 . what is the brand of your laptop?

9. Darker01

Reputations:
    Clevo P750-ZM.

I did a hour-long stress test with Heaven Unigine. Saved the results of the benchmarks here.

10. Kostasgreece

Reputations:
    your clevo is newer generation from my laptop. I use the premamod bios to work the 980m gpu. at far cry 5 I have 76 degrees celcium