Broken GTX 980M

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Darker01, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The cap on the rear is difficult to tell about because of the angle. If you can't fix the 980m I can recommend the m6100 as a card that will at least allow you to use your computer; it's about 30$ and on the same level as a 770m.

2. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have to mod the Nvidia driver inf to get this installed or not? When I tried using the 765M in place of the 980M, I had to do that to get the driver installed.

3. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't have to on either my p870dm, p750 or any other clevo.
    The m6100 is an AMD workstation card so that might be why.

4. luixyz

luixyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have replaced the 87350D , the cap C59, the short was cleared from direct measurement, however when I put the card back in the system, the standby voltage was ok and then when power on the power supply cut the power indicating there is a short. I removed the card and measure the + and ground, it is short again, that means there is something else broken that burnt the power circuit once power is started...

5. luixyz

luixyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Final Update, sent the card to a knowledgeable technician with a reasonable price, the pull up capacitor at the back of the burnt 87350D was toasted and burnt as well, by removing them, the card is ok now, my self-replacement of the 87350D and E7 cap was not bad at least.

I have reapply fresh cooling pad to the card and CPU VRM, hopefully to keep the temp. down, at default fan, max GPU temp 80 oC, at max fan GPU temp Max 70 oC

Here's 3D mark result for 980M vs 880M in the same GT72 2XX 4720/16G/1T HDD

And now my keyboard is bad... F,G, Space is dead and I think F1 key is stuck and keeps on input F1 Signal to the computer, thinking to get a replacement keyboard or not, else I will disconnect the keyboard ribbon, keep the RGB ribbon on and use an external keyboard.

Really, too tire to dismantle the whole system again, especially I have apply the fresh thermal paste and cooling pad

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Darker01, Papusan and MahmoudDewy like this.