Broadcom vs Intel

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by kanehi, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanehi

kanehi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a HP dv2000z laptop and my Broadcom card is essentially dead until new drivers come out either from HP or Microsoft. I'm planning to replace the card with an Intel board and was wondering if this card is compatible with my laptop. Thanks in advance for any assistance. I got a d-link USB wireless for now but it would be nicer if the internal card works.

2. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    If you have the driver for the card, sure why not. Get it on ebay, make sure everything is right, ie size, form factor, etc.

3. kanehi

kanehi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did look at eBay and one seller said that the Intel card will not work with an AMD Bios and will lock up. At least that seller is honest but I couldn't find information regarding this incompatibility. The card did look the same as the original Broadcom but I don't want to take a chance and for it not to work. Other sellers doesn't mention this either. Just wanted to post here to verify if anyone had this experience. The thing with the Intel card is, as this same seller said, is that when mated with a particular Intel CPU (Core Duo) it will show up as a Centrino.

4. philfna

philfna Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    If you a have a Turion X2 I do not believe you can use an Intel mini-pci card with your laptop.

5. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    Get another broadcom card?

6. nobscot6

nobscot6 Wise One

Reputations:
    Hey,
    what router are you using?? My broadcom card in a similar laptop is not very good. I can get the drivers from the HP website- what is the problem? I got a d-link express card and it's great!!

7. dragonrage

dragonrage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you're replacing it, go for Atheros. Atheros > Intel > Broadcom.

8. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    atheros is the best out right now imo you can get the g based one from ewiz fir 35$ or so after shipping.. and the n is also online ill find the place that sells it when i get home i just dont remember who it is right now but its about 55$ or so..

9. kanehi

kanehi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I ordered another Broadcom card and it does the same thing as the original, mostly not recognized by XP. I did buy the d-link express card N but my laptop couldn't recognize the card even with the latest driver, probably a dead one, returned it. I now have a d-link USB wireless N and it works perfectly all the time. I've been reading the HP forum (HP web site) and apparently people with the dv6000z series are also having the same problem with their Broadcom card. From what I gather it's related with the the AMD/Broadcom/Microsoft combination. I guess the Windows update is affecting it somehow because it was fine for me for a whole year. This includes Vista also. I used to have Vista x64 then Vista x86 and the same problem occured whenever I updated. My conclusion is it might be Microsoft's fault and HP for not having a work around. Next time I probably by a Dell. BTW some Dell laptops with the AMD/Broadcom/Microsoft combo are also having the same dilemma. Next time it'll be Intel all the way even though it'll cause a little bit more. At least the reliability is there. Heck I've had an Averatec for 7 years now and it hasn't given any wireless problem!