Broadcom BCM4352 BCM94352HMB ?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by hhhd1, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is only 2 wireless cards available for laptops that supports wireless-AC, one is Intel's 7260, and it has allot of stability issues, the other is Broadcom BCM4352 ( BCM94352HMB ) .

Why no one tried it yet ?
    Why no mention for its stability or performance ?

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So far the only person who did report back on the Broadcom wasn't pleased at all with it. (the post is burred somewhere in 7260 thread though)

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I have an "Broadcom BCM4352HMB 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter" in my HP Rove, so it`s AC compatible i did not know that, I suppose "802.11ac" is a giveaway.

John.

4. cbautis2

cbautis2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My experience with Broadcom at 5 Ghz is that it has less range than Intel cards due to lower transmit power. In terms of upload throughput, Intel 7260 is superior but the download throughput is the same as Intel 7260.

On 5 GHz band, another difference is that Intel will always connect at short GI if router supports it while Broadcom will only use short GI if the MCS index is at highest index it can support.

For example, Intel 7260 can establish a connection at MCS index 7, short GI which is 72.2 * 4.5 (80 MHz width) * 2 (streams) =~ 650 Mbps while Broadcom will only do 65 (normal GI) * 4.5 (80 MHz) * 2 (streams) = 585 Mbps

It is only at MCS index 9 or highest MCS index of the router which Broadcom will use Short GI.

Therefore, in longer range and maybe close range, Intel will outperform Broadcom. However, the benefit of not using short GI at lower MCS index is stability of connection (less likely to get ping spikes, dropped packes, etc)

downloads, WhatsThePoint and hhhd1 like this.
  5. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any stability issues at 2.4ghz ?

I think that some drivers might just label it:
    "Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter"

6. cbautis2

Reputations:
    It's stable overall and it doesn't have the Intel 7260 bug (on some laptops/router configurations) where download and upload speeds drop down to 2 - 11 Mbps and never gets back to 144 or 300 Mbps.

Actually, the naming of Broadcom on Device Manager depends on which drivers are installed. If you download the "Dell wireless" drivers, the Broadcom will be named "Dell Wireless 1550 802.11ac" or if you load the ASUS drivers, the broadcom will be named "ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter". I like the ASUS driver since it has TurboQAM that Dell and generic Broadcom drivers don't have. In addition, ASUS driver has the "802.11ac VHT mode" option in the advanced settings. In all of the drivers, the transmit power is the same. (based on the RSSI and signal quality reported by windows and "netsh wlan show interfaces" cmd command.

The only way for broadcom to get long range is to buy the actual ASUS PCE-AC68 desktop card since ASUS tweaked the firmware to have very high TX power in addition to high gain antennas.

7. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    Do you have a link to that ASUS driver since it has TurboQAM and VHT mode , I would like to give it a try.

Thanks

John.

8. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Tinderbox (UK) and cbautis2 like this.
  9. cbautis2

Reputations:
    Like whatsthepoint posted, just download the utility since it'll install the drivers as well.

Here's how to make it work:

Remove all of the generic broadcom drivers so that when you restart the PC, it'll look for drivers but fails.

Then install the drivers through running the setup file. Then your BCM3452 becomes ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter. You don't need the utility so you can hide it in the program files folder. Test TurboQAM using a AC1900 router at 2.4 GHz with little to no co-channel and overlapping channel interference.

New options is "802.11ac VHT mode" (set this to "3"). TurboQAM is not shown but supported when AC1900 router is used. Also, default driver settings is optimized for wide channel width and "minimum power saving" disabled by default.

Tinderbox (UK) likes this.
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    OK, the driver installed "ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter" the control center app does not work, I cannot find the TurboQAM setting in the driver settings, but i dont have an AC router yet just my ISP 2.4ghz only free one at the moment, I am a slightly faster connection speed.

VT Mode is showing and is set to 3 by default.

Until i get an AC router i cannot really do anything at least the driver installs.

Thanks

John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.