bricked my HP LaserJet m2727nf printer with genuine firmware update ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by miro_gt, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    boy was I pissed last night at HP and all their junk drivers. And I still am.

So seeing that the printer had new firmware, I decided to update it. I've done it once in the past and it went fine, so why not do it again. Well, long story short, the firmware transferred fine and the printer started the cycle of erasing and then programming, only to get stuck in the middle of the programming, and that's when I almost got constipation. After praying under the moon for over 30 min, I got me a cup of water and told myself "what a waste of 500 bux right there.." and shut it down. Of course upon restart it would not boot anymore, would not be recognized in the network, and would not show as a device via USB, and ... yeah, one of those days.

The next couple hours of research on how to fix it led to nowhere, with people having similar problems being resolved with bringing the printer to HP service place and getting charged quite a lot for new motherboard and what not. So I was pretty set on having to buy another printer pretty soon, when I found a post from a dude in a thread not related to firmware updates somewhere over the HP boards.

here's the post:

Kanal_Tech
    11-03-2011 09:55 PM

This is after the fact but it may help someone else. This works for firmware error or the dreaded “Hewlett-Packard >> >>; which was my particular issue.
    I am not sure how technical you are, however, I have a somewhat simple fix that worked for me.

1st. Download the firmware utility update for your particular model provided by HP.
    2nd Install the printer manually using the usb connectivity- that’s if you don’t have it already installed via USB; I used the HP universal driver.

Remove the printer left cover. It snaps on. Start by gently prying from the back exposing the circuit board (formatter).
    On the formatter (green circuit board) there is a 2 pin connector labeled 10 or 11 that needs to be shorted or jumped. It was located in the middle of the board

Turn the printer on while it’s connected by usb. Jumper or short the 2 pin connector - the display will state "ready to load firmware". You will also hear the printer usb driver connect / initialize in windows-
    Next start the HP firmware update utility, select your printer from drop down list. If it’s connected correctly the display will change to erasing firmware, then programing firmware; finally it will display "firmware rom upload complete" - or something close to that.

Wait until the progress bar on the firmware update utility in windows completes and display the smiley face (about 3 min). Then turn printer off - unplug /disconnect the usb cable from the printer (printer may mistake usb connector as external USB storage – a firmware glitch I believe).

Turn printer on and watch it boot normally--- You are done.

PS if while loading the firmware utility a windows displays stating that the file failed to print check the virtual usb driver within windows, select the last one or delete / remove then reload the printer driver after you have shorted the jumpers… Note – the above process will not work until you have the driver loaded correctly via usb.

Have fun Techin

and OMG it worked :err: .. so at about 2:30am last night I got it back up and working again :biggrin: Huge thumbs up for that guy, saved my printer now that's for sure. I think that post may help somebody else in similar situation with similar model printer, thus my post on here.

2. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Awesome! Nice to know that there's a backup method of flashing that HP thought to put in there. That said, HP fails for not documenting this method themselves :D.

3. Kuu

Kuu That Quiet Person

Reputations:
    And prevent a new printer sale?

/s

4. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    would not have been an HP for sure, lol.

but the jumper is right in the middle of the board, labeled 11 or p11, and its only one there so no way to be mistaken. With some skill it actually could be reached through the hole that latches the external memory cover, so no need to disassemble the whole left panel of the printer. I got picture and could post later, but I'm in the middle of transferring my OS to my SSD so no camera drivers loaded yet, heh.

5. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    Ah, the power of the internet. Saving me money since...well, ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.