]]>

Brainstorming AW17 R1/Ranger/R5 Modifications

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Dec 3, 2017.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Calling @Nomad

Dont mean to rush you but I would love to see your write up of a recent discovery you made :)

Nomad likes this.
  2. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I am not sure why do you want to add a fan to the center bay, this will do more harm than good as it will have no where to vent the heat.

A typical cooling system (not only in laptops even in cars) should have a radiator that is hit by a fan that pushes air outside of the system.

Due to its fins, it's easier to cool down a radiator than say to actually hit the heat pipes with air from the fans. Not saying that it wouldn't cool the pipes down but it is not as efficient. Of course this is assuming you have an outlet vent, which in the center bay you won't and you will be basically circulating hot air right next to the already hot GPU. This would be counter productive.

Nonetheless, the answer to your original question is yes. You can use the PWM signal from the CPU for two fans.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    That problem is already accounted for :) Was mentioned I believe earlier in the thread (at least I think it was this one)

Ill also be using foil tape to best quarantine that area as well so as to create a sort of funnel. This is in the hopes that the hot air doesnt get mixed with the intakes more than reasonably possible

Once I figure out how to do this in a clean manner (whether myself or via a 3rd party) I want to open the back to have a similar looking vent design like the GPU / CPU exhausts. This looks possible in between the monitor mounts.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Ok granted that we have a center exhaust and fan installed in the center HDD bay.

Do you think it an interesting experiment to cover the heatpipes in HVAC tape and then cut off the ram sinks and replace with copper mosfet heatsinks?

Striker1234 likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    In talks with an ebay seller that designs and manufactures aftermarket heatsinks for specific laptops.

I ran some ideas by him and I hope I was able to communicate well but he has at this point in time expressed that it should be possible to make what I have proposed. Though I think some things were lost in translation as his native language is Chinese and while he does speak enough English to get by I suspect some things arent being conveyed. I am speaking with some people that speak Chinese on another medium to see if I cant translate my message so it can be properly conveyed.

In short I have requested a few items.

4 heatpipes flat across, no stacking.

This leaves 1 heatpipe with no connection to the fin array. I have requested that the fin array be extended enough so that it also makes contact. The con for this is the need for cutting off a bit of the fan shroud. I believe this will remove some of the airflow but I want to see if the net result is a loss or a gain.

I also requested for the plate to be extended so as to make contact with the uncovered VRM.

I also inquired as to if the fin density can be increased like Khenglish had done on his used to be P150EM. This would increase the mass problem on the heatsink to a degree.

I have other mods that I want to do with the heatsink to increase the heat displacement beyond that but this first portion should be the stopping point as you will already have to modify the frame to install this.

I will keep you guys informed of this little project.

6. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anybody knows how to update ACPI tables in BIOS?

I want to update the main DSDT + 7 SSDT ACPI tables inside...

I have the Update AML files ready.

Thanks!

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    A bit of a discovery, nothing fancy.

Key caps from the R2 will transplant directly to the R1. So if your looking for another language layout for your R1 just buy the R2 with the language of choice (if available) and transplant.

I did this so I can have the Korean layout.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Also while I had my laptop in pieces trying to upgrade to the 1070 (which failed, will attempt again in the future) I tried inserting an mSATA SSD from my m4600 into the DMC slot.

While it inserts just fine, it wont sit flat into the motherboard due to obstruction from other bits on the motherboard.

So I am thinking about using a 2x USB DMC slot adapter. The problem is that it is USB 2.0 and splits the 2A it supplies. Here is the link for those interested in it. As it would still grant a potential USB 2.0 port for light power devices and 1 hard drive if thats the route you desire to pursue.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/321011994213

With that being said.

I am beginning to think something along these lines.

Mini PCIe to USB 3.0 Type A adapter. Can be cut to half size so I think this will work. Cant screw down since there are no threaded holes for it (That I know of) so I think using thermal pads on both sides will have to suffice for holding it in place.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Pci-e...092782?hash=item48a7c10f6e:g:Go8AAOSwMfhaZ~c2

I think this will fit on the back of the laptop (if cut, obviously). I think it will work well being on the upper end of the back of the center (centered). I like this hub because it is thin, and doesnt have that much width either. More importantly it uses USB supplementary power. So you can hardwire the supplementary power to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the right of the laptop. If you like me, you dont use the USB's on the right because your right handed and as a result dont populate those ports because it obstructs use of the mouse. It may be necessary to remove the housing of the hub to create more space though.

I plan to populate the USB port with a hollowed USB device. Probably a hollowed USB mouse receiver since they are cheap and compact. This port would act as the spliced fan switch to bypass PWM. I think this is the best use of the port since I will be using its power towards the hub anyways and connecting anything beyond the port can supply would be a waste of time.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192LPK5M/ref=psdc_281413_t2_B01EKU1XKG

Then also obviously while I am at it create an exhaust port for the rear center of the laptop. I dont know if I have the tools to do his cleanly like I wanted.

For now I have ordered the mpcie to USB 3.0 Adapter. Its like 6 bucks from China and has an ETA of end of March, of which I will be done with school by then and have time for modding once more.

I want to get this all wrapped up so I can use my external DVD/CD drive. I've got a lot of Audio CD's to go through that go in conjunction with my Korean studies. I could just rip the CD's I suppose. But this gives me an excuse to get my ideal Ranger into reality.

I like being very mobile. As a result, I have a laptop that acts as a desktop replacement. By extension I use a USB 3.0 monitor to supplement the screen real estate. So thats 1 USB port that is always populated on the left, and then there is the mouse. Basically the ports are already and always populated. Expanding this would be great :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 12:58 PM
  9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    New submission in the OP.

tl;dr 5TB 15mm drives fit just fine in the Rangers optical bay.

I got my USB 3.0 hub today and it looks like it will be a perfect fit in terms of length in the rear center. Its going to be a while on the mpcie to USB 3.0 adapter. I am currently driving my USB 3.0 monitor and External DVD/CD burner on the hub and both work just fine.

Now just to wait on the mpcie adapter for modding the hub into the Ranger for 4 more powered USB 3.0 ports. Its an attribute I actually miss from the Precision lineup.