Bought CF-28 for soldier-son & now need advice!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by faith201, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroFlight

ZeroFlight Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's one, and the more likely, possibility. You can get that effect if you get junk under the edges as well, but that takes either something small & sturdy like a dental pick or pulling off the touchpad & cleaning around the edges (both the pad and the inside of the cabinet. If you're doing that, you might as well just replace it though.

2. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    I'm still having mouse issues with my Mk3 as well; it doesn't register properly when I tap and drag, and sometimes it jumps small jumps right over where I stop dragging. I've reinstalled the TouchScreen driver twice to no avail; but I wonder if there's supposed to be a set of MB chipset drivers (for PCI Bus, Northbridge controller, IDE controller, USB, etc) that I'm not using.

mnem
    *Busts a cap in that jumping mouse's knee*

3. GlenB

GlenB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    mnem...I was thinking the same thing....there is an Intel chipset driver:

intelinf_28_3_d010645

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pc/cgi-bin/itn/toughbook/dl02.cgi?main=1632

But on the Pana site, its specified *Video* chipset...I guess its still worth a try...Its used on the ST/SR, not the S3 (I dont think its used on the 800 or 600 models either.

Have you installed this one TB?

If you end up replacing the mouse-pad, I could use a couple (If they are under $50 ea).
    Disscount for multiple units?

4. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Well... After looking at one of my carcasses left from another build. I can say that taing out the touchpad is possible but in doing so I would probably be left with something that is worse off than I have now. These things are glued in VERY well! The best bet would be to try a new one but we don't have time(or money) for that.

I'm going the driver route. I'm going to reinstall all the drivers for this specific laptop instead of doing what I normally do.... Use the same drivers for all laptops.

I'll post again when I finish.

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Okay... The mouse is still alitle jumpy at times but is much beter than it as. It no longer annoys the !&%* out of me.

I am in the process of making a wallpaper with everyone's name that contributed to the project. I want to make sure I have everything correct. I have the following down as donating to the cause....

Cadillac - Check
    Modly - Keyboard
    Glen - 1Ghx Case halves
    Pappy - Hard Drive
    Stiffnecked - Check
    Toughbook - Time and ??? (I'm still working on it.)
    Linda - Of course!

Is this a correct list? Please forgive me if I have forgotten anyone but chime in if you did and I forgot to mention you. I am making a custom wallpaper with all our names for our young soldier.

Please post asap if I've forgotten anyone

6. GlenB

Reputations:
    I just saw another post of a supposed jumpy-mouse fix using folded paper...sliding it under the edges of the pad to clean out the muck...
    might be worth a try...

7. GlenB

Reputations:
    Try sticking that RAM back in too..... :Þ

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I saw that post too.. And tried it. And I tried reseating the RAM. It's not near as bad as it was but it still skips around a little. But it's very manageable.... Not near as bad as it was.

I am making the wallpapers now and will continue to play around with it in the meantime... Thanks!

9. picoshark

picoshark Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A quick comment about touchpads in general? An easy way to narrow down problems to drivers vs. hardware, would be to boot to a Linux live CD (Knoppix, Mint, Sidux, etc). Most of these have the touchpads working out of the box, that can help rule out things while troubleshooting.

10. inspectorgene

inspectorgene Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey TB,

That was me. I also took some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and ran around the edges of the touchpad.

That and the folded paper did the trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.