Bought an M15x..

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Shockwave_Omega, May 28, 2018.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    amazing how all of this could have been avoided by purchasing a dell nvidia xbracket and using proper sized thermal pads....

ssj92 likes this.
  2. Shockwave_Omega

Shockwave_Omega Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem was not my x bracket (the bracket from the 5730 fitted like a glove and did not warp the card!). The thermal pads however... that was the problem. However even if the pads would have fitted perfectly the cooler still mounted slant on the card due to a slight hight difference. Ah well the next card will be one I dont have to mod or do any weird mechanical shyte to get it working.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The 5730M bracket is not perfect, it is slightly shorter than the dell nvidia xbracket, coupled with thermal pads sized 1.0mm you certainly will crush things. Do yourself a favor and get the card with the right bracket, use soft compressible 1.0mm thermal pads and not the high thermal conductivity stiff pads

Clearik and ssj92 like this.
  4. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Replaced the 5730M with a Dell Quadro 3000m (yeah not the fastest card out there but sufficient for me). Also had a 6870 but that didnt even show any image. Only got me blinking Scroll Lock and Caps Lock. The 3000m works like a charm (though its a bit hot).

5. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Further tweaking resulted in a max temp drop of 20 degrees c. Went from a top in the 85-88 degrees c to 65-68 degrees c. The laptop reacts better/quicker in games. Powermax bench runs through the whole bench instead of just cutting out due to thermal restrictions. Very happy with the results.

6. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Right so havent been working on the M15x for some time. However I recently bought an AMD M6100. Received it and built the card in as I did with the current Quadro 3000m. Turned on the machine.... no screen.... heard Windows starting and decided to hook up an external monitor. Screen came on and started working. Windows detected the card and went on working fine (except for showing anything on the integrated screen). Thought I screwed up something and placed the Quadro card back.. Voila got screen working. I am at a loss as to why the laptop did not show anything on the built in screen. Does anyone have any advice?

7. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting how the m6100 didn't work, it worked on mine but it ran hot despite making decent contact. By the way did the Quadro require tinkering with the drivers to work?

8. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Nope just got drivers and worked like a charm. Only requires tinkering when you need newer drivers.

9. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What drivers are you using? Anyway there is another card I know works and that is the M6000 but just be mindful that the core sits lower than just about any other card. Certainly runs a lot cooler than most only having 40-45w TDP and overclocks decently. The M6100 is a small furnace and my other Alienware that being an M18x R2 doesn't like them not having normal fan control and worse still the thermals are horrendous despite having the fans manually controlled. Runs hotter than my GTX 675Ms x.x

10. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 17 R1 with proper tinkering liked it, but did need custom fans. Whats weird is my clevo liked them in crossfire and even had auto fan control