Bought an M15x..

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Shockwave_Omega, May 28, 2018.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    amazing how all of this could have been avoided by purchasing a dell nvidia xbracket and using proper sized thermal pads....

ssj92 likes this.
  2. Shockwave_Omega

Shockwave_Omega Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem was not my x bracket (the bracket from the 5730 fitted like a glove and did not warp the card!). The thermal pads however... that was the problem. However even if the pads would have fitted perfectly the cooler still mounted slant on the card due to a slight hight difference. Ah well the next card will be one I dont have to mod or do any weird mechanical shyte to get it working.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 5730M bracket is not perfect, it is slightly shorter than the dell nvidia xbracket, coupled with thermal pads sized 1.0mm you certainly will crush things. Do yourself a favor and get the card with the right bracket, use soft compressible 1.0mm thermal pads and not the high thermal conductivity stiff pads

Clearik and ssj92 like this.
  4. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Replaced the 5730M with a Dell Quadro 3000m (yeah not the fastest card out there but sufficient for me). Also had a 6870 but that didnt even show any image. Only got me blinking Scroll Lock and Caps Lock. The 3000m works like a charm (though its a bit hot).

5. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Further tweaking resulted in a max temp drop of 20 degrees c. Went from a top in the 85-88 degrees c to 65-68 degrees c. The laptop reacts better/quicker in games. Powermax bench runs through the whole bench instead of just cutting out due to thermal restrictions. Very happy with the results.