Bought an M15x..

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Shockwave_Omega, May 28, 2018.

1. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not bad. I just reinstalled GTV V and fired it up on the 5850 &(750/1000). At 1920x1080 with some all shadow eye candy on and limits off the machine returns around 45fps. This was a surprise for such an old card and all the while only hitting a max temp of 80c in ambients temp of 25c.

M6000 is not a bad card. Clock it up nicely for a good return in performance and be on the look out for a 920xm they come cheap and is alot faster than the 840qm. When I play GTA V for example I run a quick OC of 3ghz all cores and this is not even pushing it with stock cooling. 840qm you are stuck at about 2ghz max across all cores.

2. Shockwave_Omega

Shockwave_Omega Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. I will be on the lookout for a 9x0XM. Those dont come on the market near me so much so... Hmm. Also working on a budget at the moment. Wife wasnt to happy to give me budget for this upgrade.
    Would have love to have gone a bit farther with the upgrade. Atleast I am going dual --> quad core. Have been playing some Star Trek Online, GuildWars2 and World of Warships recently on the 5730 currently installed. It isnt to shabby but it could do better.

3. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Ok so after working a bit more on the problem I think I found the problem. The original x bracket that came with the card is .. crap. Installed the 5730 one and the cooler mounts without problems. However I have a gap between the card and the cooler..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Have been reading some older treads about the M6000 cards. Have seen people that have to use shims and others that dont have to use them. Is there a great difference in temperatures and so on when using a shim? Orderd some shims today and some new thermalpads.
    Had the M6000 installed today and did some graphics tests but the card would cut out @ +/- 80C. Used a homemade shim made from a 2 eurocent coin. Card would not cool down one bit with the graphics tests not even with fan @ 100% speed.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    DO NOT USE SHIMS. YOU RUN THE RISK OF CRUSHING YOUR CORE!!!!!!
    what is happening, is the original screws have built in limiters. Remove the c-clamp securing the screws, remove screws, replace with dell screws from m17x r3/4 or m18x r1/2, this will give proper contact with the core. Do not overtighten screws.

Your card is overheating because stock screws are not making enough heatsink contact with the core.

6. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Ok so I dont have screws of just about every laptop around.. I have a ton of screws from Lenovo's but I cant tell if those would fit. Also still need to wait for new thermal pads. Would love to know why some people need a shim or screw adjustments and others just trow it in there and it all works out of the box. Shorte screws would work for this problem? Crap I need sleep (my typing is all over the place).. Working a 13 hour shift the next 2 days...

7. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Agreed shims = crushed card.

Get on ebay if necessary and order correct ones. If it takes couple of weeks so be it otherwise you will have a brick of a M15x.

8. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Will look for some screws. Might have some lying around (deconstructed a lot of laptops).

9. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

So just tested with some custom (longer screws cut down) Seems to work great like this. Not a bad temperature (older pads got new ones comming and artic silver thin spread). PowerMAX does push the core to 100% got the newer AMD drivers installed so it isnt seen as a M6000. Could install the M6000 driver which works without fail as well.