Bought an M15x..

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Shockwave_Omega, May 28, 2018.

1. Shockwave_Omega

Shockwave_Omega Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Guys (and maybe Ladies?),

So I bought my 3rd Alienware laptop last week (see specs in the signature below). I am enjoying every bit of it. I started out with an M17 and later an M11x r1. Did some lan parties with the M11x and alway got those WTF looks :p I do enjoy pulling stuff apart and putting it back together again (mostly working). I have worked on... multiple... machines in my carreer (in IT).

Back to the M15x. So it's not as great specwise but as I am catching up on some fine reading here I will be upgrading the M15x as I go. I changed out the old 250 GB 7200rpm disk that came with the M15x and swapped it out for a Crucial Mx500 SSD (250GB). Aaaand I stole my wifes 8gb ddr3 sodimms from her Thinkpad 410 :p and put it in the M15x... just dont tell her. Already have a 240W adapter on route. It came with an old Dell 65W one which wont be enough later on.

So I do have some wishes for the M15x.

-Better videocard..
    -Other CPU (920XM or 940XM).
    -16GB of ram.

Did I forget something? Maybe.. im getting old will update this when I get some more parts and stuff in (can take some while). If there is some interest in it I can make some photo's and put them here when I do some upgrading.

Anyway good to be back (havent been really active since I had my M17).

Arrrrbol likes this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 920XM will give you much better performance than the i5, with throttlestop and adequate cooling you can clock it to 3.5GHz on 4 cores. (Unfortunately the warped heatsink in my M17X R2 prevents me running it at that speed). Technically the 970M works in the M15X, though the CPU will bottleneck it in newer games - especially stuff like Battlefield 1. The Clevo 8970M is also an option I believe. Talk to @Raidriar for more information about it.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    920XM, liquid ultra thermal compound, GTX 970M, and 2 x 8GB ddr3 ram is the best you can do. Clevo 8970M will NOT give native fan control in the M15x

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Personally, I would swap out the LCD to the 1080p model

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Will look into the processor, memory and videocard. The LCD panel is not a top priority. Might look into that later when most upgrades are done. I am also kinda limited in my budget so it will take some time to get it all together. I also noticed to late someone near me had a 7970m for sale. That might have been a nice upgrade (though I prefer nVidia). Havent heard of liquid ultra thermal compound. I always try to use MX2 (non conductive) and it gives me great results. I do tend to have a certain form of "luck" when it comes to conductive stuff...

Actually havent seen anything on upgrading the M15x with an MSata SSD?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut if you don't want to use Liquid Metal, i've had good results with my GPU temps after using it compared to MX4.

7. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Ok will look into that. I kinda don't like working with conductive stuff around sensitive parts.. Something about luck and electrocuting myself..

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You won't electrocute yourself lol

Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    Got an upgrade kit in the form of a i7 840qm, Ati M6000 and some Kryonaut paste. All for a nice price (under 100€ total). M6000 is a Dell part.

10. Shockwave_Omega

Reputations:
    My 240 watt adapter came in today. Looks like I wont be spending money on a new battery to soon. The thing is charging as we speak.

Cleaned out the keyboard today. Got rid of a crap ton of hair and... muck. Very nasty sticky black stuff. I can see the keyboard lighting again :) ruined no buttons in the proces. Washed the keycaps.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018