1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Bought a Netbook NB250 - am I missing Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by SVTWannabe, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVTWannabe

SVTWannabe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope you folks can answer this...I'm feeling a bit stupid after an impulse buy.

I just picked up one of Toshiba's netbooks being sold by Best Buy Canada, the NB250-001 running Windows 7 Starter. When I went home, setup was going along fine until I tried to pair up my BlackBerry via Bluetooth.

Both Toshiba Canada and Best Buy in their "specs" show this netbook has Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. However, I can't find any sort of Control Panel item having Bluetooth, nor is there any icon in the system tray. I even went to Toshiba Canada's website to download whatever Bluetooth related drivers there might be. When I tried to add a device, the netbook just sat there scanning.

I even tried my BT dongle from my HP, the dongle managed to install perfectly and only then did the BT icon option show up. :confused:

So...I guess I'm wondering if I actually have Bluetooth on this netbook or not. The price is swaying me to keep it anyway, but the principle of it is making me think otherwise.

2. steve p

steve p Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had the Toshiba NB205 (very similar to yours) and if I remember correctly you can tangle BT (and Wi-Fi) on and off by pressing FN+F8...
    Good luck.

3. SVTWannabe

Reputations:
    Thanks. I tried that after some searching; however, the only "setting" was Wi-Fi. There was absolutely no BT setting available.

I ended up returning the netbook. The staff my local Best Buy first thought it could have been a defective machine. After some searching they felt it was more an error on Toshiba's part since all of the ones they had in stock didn't have BT.

4. siamnotebook

siamnotebook Newbie

Reputations:
    This model no bluetooth.

Check your system

Control panel - System - Device manager
    Find Bluetooth Radio or Network

5. SVTWannabe

Reputations:
    I already returned the netbook. So, it's no longer a concern for me :)