Bought 2 laptops (AMD and Intel)... VERY surprising comparison!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SmoothOp, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoothOp

SmoothOp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The laptop is mostly for my gf and the MAIN purpose would be MS Office and internet browsing.

HOWEVER, I'm a gamer. So I wanted the laptop to have at least some minimal gaming capabilities (my budget is ~500 $ so I was not expecting anything crazy).
    Last week, I found 2 good deals at BestBuy. They're both in the same price range so I expected similar performance:

Acer Aspire V7 i5 3337 - Integrated Intel HD 4000 - 550$
    Acer Aspire V7 14" Touchscreen Ultrabook - Iron (Intel Core i5-3337U/24GB SSD/500GB HDD/8GB RAM) : Ultrabooks - Best Buy Canada

HP Envy A10 5745m - Integrated AMD Radeon HD 8610G - 500$
    HP ENVY Sleekbook 15.6" Laptop - Silver (AMD A10 5745M / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : 15" Laptops - Best Buy Canada

Since I couldn’t make up my mind between theses 2, I bought both with the intention of keeping the one I (I mean my gf) like the best and use the 14 days to get a complete refund on the other one… (I know this is wrong and blablabla but I normally never do that and this is not the point here...).

Turns out the Aspire V7 (i5 3337) was about twice as fast when installing stuff or performing tasks on Windows (I literally had both laptops side to side and was starting stuff simultaneously). I don’t know if it’s the faster CPU or the SSD kicking in however.

I ran 3dMark11 on both and the HP got ~1200 while the Acer got only ~650 (despite having a CPU score ~40% higher, it's GPU score was catastrophic).

I was kind of hoping it would be the other way around, would have made my choice a lot easier...

I installed Left 4 Dead 2 and FRAPS on both laptops to check the fps (frame per sec.) on both anyway. Turns out the HP can run the game maxed out with capped 60 fps most of the time and the Acer (Intel) never even touched 30 fps (15-25) at the same settings...

I really wasn't expecting such a difference between 2 crappy integrated GPUs. Did I forget to install a driver or something or is the Intel HD 4000 really so awful? Why on earth are they still installing that in laptops nowadays? :(

And, obviously, my gf likes the Acer a lot better because of: the look, the touchscreen, easier to carry around (14") and the backlight keyboard.

So... do you think it's possible to find a ~500$ laptop that has at least the GPU capability of the HP but the features of the Acer (14", touchscreen, backlight keyboard)?

I appreciate any comments regarding this.

2. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    It's not really that surprising. The CPU is a bit better in the Acer, but iGPU better in the HP (more equivalent to an HD4600). Most of the speed difference in basic tasks is probably due to the SSD in the Acer. The HD4000 is still used as that is what Intel uses in their lower end CPUs which is typically what you find at the low end of the market. It's not as if you can take it off the CPU die. If you want something better, you nedd a better CPU or an AMD APU, or a something with a better dGPU.

3. SmoothOp

Reputations:
    A dGPU (I assume it means the opposite of integrated) would be awesome! However, I doubt I can hope for one in a 14" ~500$ laptop. Even so, I suppose it would be significantly thicker and heavier... which my gf is not gonna like... :(

4. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    Have a look at this
    Acer V5 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Iron (AMD A8-5557M/ 500GB HDD/ 8GB RAM/ Windows 8) : 15" Laptops - Future Shop
    Intel is miles ahead when it comes to single threaded CPU performance. But for overall value, AMD is better at this price point especially when you need a little bit of fun on the side.

HP ENVY Sleekbook 15.6" Laptop - Silver (AMD A10 5745M / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : 15" Laptops - Future Shop
    I don't know wht the rating is low on this machine. Please have a look at it if possible.

5. SmoothOp

Reputations:
    Hi idiot101! :)

The first one looks really good! ACER is a better brand than HP, the CPU despite being a A-8 seems better than my A10-5545, it has a better iGPU and has a touchescreen.
    Sadly, no futureshop near me has it in stock atm...

As for the second link, it's one of the 2 laptops I bought 3 days ago. I like it but my gf... not so much.

6. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    My mistake.I misread that Best Buy link.

The only way you are going to get rid of the feeling that the computer is slow is by installing an SSD. You could invest in one sometime down the line. The issue is latency. SSDs have almost no delay in processing commands.

7. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree with idiot101. The A10 5745M isn't that far behind the i5-3337u on CPU performance (the A10 does use a bit more power). What you're probably seeing is the difference in performance with the 24GB SSD cache.

8. SmoothOp

Reputations:
    Even though Windows isn't installed on it? I believe it's strictly used as a caching drive atm.

Wasn't sure it would make a difference at all...

9. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, an SSD cache isn't as good as just running everything off of an SSD, but it's much quicker than just using a mechanical disk.

10. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    It certainly makes a difference, otherwise it wouldn't be fitted. The cache stores commonly used data, and the OS and commonly used apps fit that description. A proper SSD is always going to be better though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.