BMW i3

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Anyone's thoughts on this? A rear wheel drive hatchback with rear suicide doors and an electric powertrain. 80-100 miles on a charge (A Volt-style generator for extended range, pushing it to 190 miles, is optional). Price is pretty reasonable for an electric car with a blue-and-white roundel: $42,000 before state and federal tax incentives (which in California can approach $10,000).

I'm lukewarm on the exterior, but I looooove the interior. Very modern, almost Ikea-esque.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    For about the same price as the Volt after tax incentives (particularly attractive in CA, as this vehicle also qualifies for HOV lane access), I'd definitely choose it over the Volt. Range extender engine may be nice for peace of mind, but it increases the weight and slows acceleration, and costs a bit less than $4,000 more.

I too like the interior; I think it all meshes together quite nicely, particularly in some color combinations. Not really liking the rear-end design, though.

Overall, however, I still don't think electric vehicles have progressed and matured far enough to be a serious economical choice. For the same money pre-incentives, I'd definitely take a 3-series, and if generous incentives are included, I'd still take, say, a Subaru BRZ over the i3.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I don't know if I could ever live with an exterior like that... This makes the Prius look lovely by comparison.

Though I can only give a subjective opinion on looks. Objectively, I don't think I'd ever by an electric car for several years, no matter how good they get by then. Too much long-distance driving and all that, and for ~$42k I'd rather buy an entry-level luxury car or a very-nice normal car, both with gas (or even diesel) engines.

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Kill it with fire!

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    If they're using the same battery tech as Boeing, it'll do it for you ;).

6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Oh this is an electric car. Aren't those banned in some places?

7. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just saw today in the Underground metro this. Pay attention to the last letter:) China what are you doing? Please stop:)
    2013-08-01 22.38.49.jpg

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Living in southern Oregon, a car like this just doesn't make sense for me. I've seen a couple Nissan Leafs around, but given travel distances in rural Oregon, a Prius or a Golf TDI is a much better eco-car (I personally drive a Civic Si, so all this "eco" stuff is a little hypothetical for me). But for someone in LA or NYC, I could see how it'd be great.

And that interior...

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    2 words: gag reflex.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    BMW could have taken a cue from Aston Martin on how to "tastefully" make a small car...

[​IMG]

Yep, it's a $50,000 Toyota iQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.