Bluetooth, Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Legacy40k, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legacy40k

Legacy40k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting a new laptop and there is the option of bluetooth. I know what it is, but is it worth it? I'm not convinced that I.. or anybody needs bluetooth in their notebook. Why would somebody want it?

2. heshanj

heshanj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i use it coz i have a wireless mouse (apple mighty mouse) and i absolutely love the wireless freedom. i also use it to connect my nokia phone sometimes to transfer pics i took on it or music n stuff. some people use it to connect wireless headsets, which are rather expensive and i dont really use em, but i understand the reason of wanting one...wireless is the way to go. i doubt ur gonna be spending much more for a laptop with bluetooth, i believe its hard to get a laptop withOUT bluetooth built in these days. and i'd rather have it in my laptop than not, who knows when u'll find the need for it? its not gonna cost much more. on the other hand, u can buy a bluetooth dongle which connects to ur USB for like $10. but i'd go built in..its easier

3. JustBrowsing

JustBrowsing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why wouldn't you want built-in bluetooth. I use it for my Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse, no need for an additional USB thing to take up one of my ports. Unfortunately, the Bluetooth mouse goes through batteries much faster than "regular" USB wireless mice do.

Also, you can transfer files wirelessly and listen to music with a bluetooth headset. It was only a $20.00 option for my notebook and I remember wishing I would have it than not.

To each their own, you might not need it; but later on you could find a use for it. If you get a Dell computer, you can install a Bluetooth 2.0 module easily with little trouble.

4. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Bluetooth is a requirement for me in a laptop or portable device.

stereo headphones, wiimote, mouse/keyboard, hands free headset, data transfer. I use all of those on occasion and its all via bluetooth.

5. jaymes85

jaymes85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not a big fan, but included it anyway. For $20 (-$5 with coupon so really $15), its worth it, cause I think bluetooth technology is the future, I'd rather get it now than regret not having it sometime down the road.

6. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:

Second that, +7rep

Plus, with some phones you can transfer ringers and wallpapers, i guess that would be in data transfer though.

7. agent007

agent007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bluetooth shouldn't be an option anymore. I think bluetooth should be integrated just like any other component on the motherboard.

Wireless transfers are the way to go.

8. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    yeah, I have custom ringers & themes on my phone that I transfered from my pc. Pay .99$ for a tone? I dont think so I would rather have the whole song for free. Plus kick it up a notch and make your own tones or customize them first on your pc via a audio editor.

9. Qbito_01

Qbito_01 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Bluetooth is USB without wires...without it is like saying "yes, I want a mobile phone with land line please" =). Some might argue its more secure...but...

10. fabarati

fabarati Frorum Obfuscator

Reputations:
    o_O Who got a time machine and turned it back to 2000?