1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Bluetooth Headphones issue for M17x R3

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheProphetofDoom, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheProphetofDoom

TheProphetofDoom Notebook Consultant

I have a pair of Jabra Halo bluetooth headphones and I would like to use them for my M17x R3. I have been able to sync them with the laptop but I am unable to get sound to them. They work perfectly with my iPhone. I am hoping someone can help. Thanks.

2. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Evangelist

The R3 doesn't come with the Widcomm BT stack which you need for audio. Download the drivers from the Dell website and everything should work.

3. TheProphetofDoom

Awesome thanks. I will try and post my results here.

4. TheProphetofDoom

I can't seem to find the driver you are talking about on Dell's website. Could you give me the full name of the driver I need and what category it is under?

5. TheProphetofDoom

I tried to install the Broadcom bluetooth software and when I try to install it I get this message. "The Bluetooth Adapter cannot be turned off at this time because one of the installed Bluetooth devices, probably a keyboard, does not allow the disable operation." Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

6. shadowyani

I've never seen that error before but at the risk of sounding like I'm stating the obvious, did you unpair all your devices before trying to install the driver?

7. TheProphetofDoom

Actually I did not unpair. I have now unpaired my BT mouse and I am still having issues it's telling me to "Please plug in or turn on your Bluetooth device." The internal bluetooth is on so I am not sure what to do next. Any advice? Thanks.

8. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

I can't see to find the driver either, Shadow. Can you link us? I want to try it with my PS3 controllers.

9. shadowyani

Lol dookie my friend you aren't looking hard enough.

Drivers and Downloads

Its the only BT driver there on the page. Enjoy!

10. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Da hell? Can't believe I missed it.

'Ppreciate it mang!

EDIT: Wait, isn't this already installed on our systems?

Attached Files:

11. TheProphetofDoom

I am still having the same issue trying to install the broadcom BT program. Help please.

12. shadowyani

No that screen you're looking at is only showing the presence of hardware; it doesn't tell you what driver you have installed.

For reference, the driver I have installed is 6.3.0.6060 by Broadcom Corporation.

13. shadowyani

You may have to ask Dell tech support about this issue. I didn't experience such difficulty with my BT driver installation and its not likely that I can reproduce it.

EDIT: Well I tried removing the driver completely and reinstalling it so I could run into the hiccup you seem to be experiencing but my re-installation happened without a hitch.

14. TheProphetofDoom

I gave up on the broadcom's software install and tried the Dell BT driver and it was a success. I am able to use my BT headphones :D Now all I need to be able to do is get the PS3 controller working in BT and I am good to go!

15. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

So should I go ahead and install that driver?

Have you installed the driver and tried it with PS3 controller yet?

16. TheProphetofDoom

No I have not tried using BT with the PS3 controller but I also could not get the PS3 controller working wired either. I must have missed something. I installed the motionjoy program and plugged in my PS3 controller but the controller was never detected. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

17. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Works for me. Make sure you install the controller first, and then install Motionjoy. Also make sure you get a hold of the 64bit motionjoy installer.

18. shadowyani

Are you saying you went to broadcom to find them? I meant from the start to grab them from Dell. They are the broadcom drivers customized for your dell.

19. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

I'd like to know this as well.

20. shadowyani

For the record, I've never gotten the generic Broadcomm drivers from Broadcom's own website to work on any BT radio...ever. Sometimes I wonder why they're available haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.