Blu-Ray gaining more momemtum

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by surfasb, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There is absolutely no difference in the quality of what is stored in.
    The only difference is that HD-DVDs need to be dual-layer for movies while Blu-Rays are single layer. In 2-3 years, once Blu-Ray disks will have reach the same manufacturing price as HD-DVDs, the blu ray will become cheaper.

Blu ray is also backedu p by Sony, who has a bigger influence than Toshiba for movies

2. SideSwipe

SideSwipe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    LOL and while the US might want high def movies, most of the world cant afford or even see the point of wasting more money on a format which in 10 years time will be superseded by BluRay2.

and no HD-DVD can hold movies fine without dual layer, it just needs dual layer to have equal or a bit more data storage than bluray.

HD-DVD on the other hand is probably cheaper now, while bluray will remain unreachable for the average person for another 2-5 years (i said average person not american)

3. jam12

jam12 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I may be completly wrong but I think people (average) regard Blu-Ray has having being more reputable than HD-DVD . In this case, I think most middle class people will be willing to invest more in Blu-Ray.

4. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The battle is hardly won. I think (and hope) that both formats should exist, and that there should be combo players like the LG one. This way the customers can choose. Of course, that can't be done if format neutral companies start backing up one format. Oh well I'm on the fence on this war. Or I might get a PS3 and an HD DVD player - that should solve most of the trouble :p.

5. SideSwipe

Reputations:
    I find it hard to see the middle class going for expensive blu ray players unless its a PS3. the low class would buy DVDs, the average middle class would probably have bought a HD-DVD at low prices than a bluray player.

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is not a battle just a multi layer squeeze on the consumer.

Eventually all players will play both formats.

Like dvd-r and dvd+r.

They will try to sell one of each to the consumer for a while. Eventually the play will be super multi hd format.

7. SideSwipe

Reputations:
    i dont think so, this is different to the dvd format war cuz the + and - were for recording only. dvd movies were of a single format so only dvd drives on PCs needed to be dual format. if hd-dvd dies out quickly then there will be no need for a dual format player but then again we could end up with a technology that can get cheaper but like dual layer, can only reach a certain point before it cannot get any cheaper. Then you are stuck with a format that cannot be used by everyone

8. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Go to engadget and read all the posts about companies jumping from HD-DVD to Blu-Ray. If HD-DVD does still exist, they won't be selling movies.

9. SideSwipe

Reputations:
    not the first time companies have jumped over. but realistically, if bluray players dont drop significantly in price in the next few months, it will take a long time to convince ppl to move from DVD. this is of course not regarding the US but the rest of the world who have yet to embrace the HD formats seriously

10. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Don't want to sound like an a-hole or anything but there is no "-" in HD DVD.

Right: HD DVD
    Wrong: HD-DVD

=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.