Blu-Ray gaining more momemtum

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by surfasb, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
  2. Sahin

Sahin ---------------

Reputations:
    I think it has officially won.

3. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If Microsofts stops financing japanese game devellopement for the 360, the PS3 is ready to go.

4. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    Hardly the case considering HD-DVD players sell for less than Blu-Ray players.

5. optomos

optomos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True, but if people feel that Blu-Ray will be the winner they would rather spend $100 more for security.

6. SideSwipe

SideSwipe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    no actually the smart ppl wouldnt buy any player at all. why pay 100 more for a player that will cost less very soon? also i think bluray players go for 300+. there is no security in paying for a very expensive player that costs less every month/year, especially when 1) Warner wont be bluray exclusive til march/may, 2) some titles may still be hd-dvd only so until toshiba/microsoft concede, the game is not over

7. optomos

optomos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That may be so, but that is not reality. Every technology will come down in price, eventually. I remember when the first cd burner and DVD player came out and how expensive they were and that did not stop people from diving in. The price on those devices took much longer to drop than it has on Blu-Ray or HD.

8. SideSwipe

SideSwipe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yup but it faces even harder competition from upconverted dvd players which scale well with HD tvs so ppl already have existing dvd collections and unless they really see a huge difference, ppl may still wait for better drops in prices. with the holiday season over, i think you may not see many ppl buying blu ray players til another price drop comes.

9. jam12

jam12 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, another step for Blu Ray's glory. I'm supporting them completly because I don't want my blu ray drive in my laptop to go to waste!!

Plus, in the UK, a lot more people are learning about Blu Ray. The previous argument was the HD-DVD would be known more, since the 'HD' name, but Blu Ray is getting a lot of coverage here both on media and shops.

I think the PSP has some part to play in this as well. Every kid has got a PSP and therefore parents aren't willing to dish out another amount of dosh to pay for the PS3.

10. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    Hrm... well, I bought into HD-DVD. Paid $170 for my 360 addon and got 6 free movies (most of them pretty good) plus the Heroes season 1 in HD-DVD. I don't feel too bad about being on the side of the loosing format though.

Thing is, Blu-ray just isn't great IMHO. As far as video, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two, and I think HD-DVD has a slight edge in audio. Big thing I don't like about BRD, Sony doesn't want you to be able to burn a home movie on a BRD disc and play it. With HD-DVD you can burn a normal DVD in HD mode and play it fine.

One of the articles I read said that part of the reason HD-DVD didn't do as well, is people associated it with DVD, instead of it being a new high def technology. On the other hand, HD-DVD really did pick up well in the last quarter with the severe price drops (hd-dvd players for $100).

The last thing that bothers me about Blu-ray is that they aren't on final spec. The early players (which are the cheap ones on the market) that don't have upgradeable firmware arent able to play newer movies. My dad bought one and had to return it because it wasn't able to play half his BRD movies, luckily he was able to return it for a newer one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.