1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Blu-ray drive Mata BD-MLT UJ-220S

Discussion in 'Sony' started by mariofz31z, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariofz31z

mariofz31z Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I encountered a problem with my Blu-ray/CD/DVD drive after installing Windows 7 32bit (upgrade from Vista and also clean install). I cannot BURN discs anymore.

I've tried a lot of things with no success, so I'm not sure wheather is an Windows problem, a driver problem or a hardware problem.

My Vaio is FZ31Z model, but the drive Mat shi ta BD-MLT UJ-220S is also present in some other Vaio models.

So, any of you having this drive and who has managed to make it work on Windows 7, please be so kind and give me an answer.

Thank you very much.

2. freedom16

freedom16 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What problems are you having with the disc and the drive? Did you update your graphic card drivers? Did you update and patch your blu ray software?

3. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    First of all, thank you for first sign of life I have received on this forum.

The drivers are the latest from Sony Vaio Support site for FZ31Z model(unfortunately, drivers are only for Vista as they don't support the FZ series for upgrading to w7). The graphic card driver is 7.15.11.6760 vers. from NVIDIA (does it have something to do with the burning?).

The burning software is NERO 9.4.26.0 (W7 compatible). I also tried ImgBurn with no result.

Very funny thing happened when I tried to burn a CD: Nero successfully burnt it for me but after this W7 wasn't able to read it. This gives me hope that I don't have a hardware problem as the moment when I try burning DVDs, I receive the message 'Track following error'. I also noticed that the Buffer of Nero had not been doing anything before receiving the message. So could it be a system memory problem?

About blu-ray software, I don't use such thing, but only VLC Player for reading the discs.

On the other hand, the drive reads flawlessly any kind of recorded media.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

I'd also like to ask some other Vaio owners with this type of burning drive to help on this. Thank you.

4. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    Freedom16,

Please be specific, what graphic card driver should I use on GeForce 8600M GS?
    Maybe I've missed something, is there a direct influence on the burner?

Regarding the Nero Buffer, is it possible for the system not to allocate (enough) memory and thus prevent the burning?

Thank you.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 308 Negra Arroyo Lane

Reputations:
    Blu-Ray playback is dependent on certified software like PowerDVD or ArcSoft Total Media Theater 3. Now the inability to burn disks is interesting. Have you tried a firmware update on the drive if there is one? Install NeroTool and see what you're drive is reporting to Windows it can do.

6. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    The firmware is the latest as far as Sony Support website shows us: 1.04 vers.

I run Nero InfoTool and all seemed to be normal: the device is able to burn all kind of CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays excepting DVD-ROM, CD+G and, of course, HD-DVD.

I encountered this situation in the past sometimes when trying to burn DVDs in Vista. At that moment I used to defragment the hard-drive and clean the system with CCleaner or TuneUp Utilities and somehow the burner returned to normal. So, it used to be a sort of software conflict, but no hardware fault. That's why I considered that it might be a sort of lack of memory allocation to the Nero buffer because it used to be like this: after some failed attempts, the moment when I was seeing a move in the buffer bar I knew that the burn will be successful.

This time I haven't managed to make it work, the Nero's buffer bar doesn't fill at all, I receive the message 'Track following error' and the drive ejects the DVD.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

7. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    If you don't mind me asking, what type of disk are you burning? Like DVD backup... or burning an ISO image...

8. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    Just a DVD backup, the way I used to do it many times in the past.

9. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Is the windows explorer able to burn a disk like that correctly? If so you may have to update Nero to a new version or maybe reinstall.

10. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    No, neither Explorer is able to burn. Is it possible to be a sort of conflict between Explorer and Nero?

As for Nero, this is the latest version.

11. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    And you're sure it worked perfectly under Vista? If so I'll need to think about this for a little while.

12. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    Yeah, I burnt lots of CDs, DVDs and couple of BD-R and BD-RE (25 and 50 GB).

And this problem which I told you about happened at least 3 times with Vista.

Thank you.

13. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Try updating your SATA/IDE drivers as this seems to fix a lot of disk burning problems for others I know. Try these..

14. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    I'm gonna try it and brief you later about the result.

Thank you.

15. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    Are you sure that I should install this?

Because my chipset seems to be Intel(R) PM965 Express Chipset, thus the mobile one, which doesn't appear in the list.

16. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    That download covers all 900 series motherboards on 32 and 64bit systems. ex.. 915, 945, 965...

17. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, no result after the update of SATA/IDE drivers.

If you have any other suggestion please tell me. Thank you.

18. Haroldt

Haroldt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the past when using my UJ220 the first thing that all of a sudden happened was I couldn't burn DVD's but could burn CD's. The head got dirty, I guess Dust. I couldn't see anything on the head. I blew the heads off with a can of air and that fixed it for a while. Then it seemed it wouldn't burn dvd's again. I changed brands and went with TDK's and it has worked ever since. I haven't been able to burn double layer discs. I haven't tryed different brands to see what would have.

Harold

19. mariofz31z

Reputations:
    Hi Harold,

I can confirm that behavior of the drive. Funny enough, right now I cannot write TDK DVD+R 16x anymore. Exactly the same DVD blank disks I used to write with.

I also used my vacuum-cleaner to remove any dirt from the head. It worked before but not this time.

I still presume of a compatibility issue. Can you tell me if you are able to write the DVDs with Windows 7?

Thank you.

20. Haroldt

Haroldt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Mario - Yes I can burn DVD's. It's working the same as it was in Vista. This is on a FZ-480. I haven't tryed any double layer since Vista. I have been using Imgburn 2.5.0.0. I decided Nero was just to much in the overhead area. I bought the FZ-480 around July of 2008. I didn't realize the drive wasn't working right at one point since I didn't check to see if the disc's would play.i was burning movies. When a couple wouldn't play I started looking into what was going on and found the dust problem. I got a lot of drive speed errors as at one point. Cleaning and changing to TDK's has worked so far.

Harold