Blu-ray burner for W520

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by denisavu, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tc2007

tc2007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. hantanbl

hantanbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. zerodivide

zerodivide Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's what I'd do, buy a UJ-240 and swap the bezels. I think I paid $99 for my UJ-240, though mine's external.

5. hrana

hrana Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'm going to go with an external UJ-240 instead of an internal for my RAID-enabled W520.

6. Tiger22

Tiger22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What interface is on the external UJ-240 for connecting to the W520? If it's only USB2 then it's going to take forever to burn a disk.

7. hrana

hrana Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This enclosure: Black USB 2.0 External Slim Line Enclosure. For IDE and SATA 12.7mm
    This drive: Centrix-intl.com - Panasonic UJ-240 Wholesale Price, Ships Same Day!

I wonder if there is a eSATAp or USB 3.0 enclosure for slimline drives because I could easily use that.

One counterpoint... a 6x burner still doesn't max out the real-world USB 2.0 speed last I checked but let me know if I'm mistaken.

8. zerodivide

Reputations:
    BTW, Centrix also sells this drive in Ebay Slim Laptop Panasonic Blu-ray Burner DVDRW Drive UJ-240 | eBay

I have an LG WH10SLS30 happily burning 2x BD-RE on USB 2.0 (just make sure to find a good USB cable). Don't know if 6x will saturate it either.

9. zerodivide

Reputations:
    Seems 6x doesn't overload USB 2.0 ...

Tested my WH10LS30 with Verbatim 6x LTH discs, it was able to reach 6.0x (27,xxx KB/sec) at certain points with ImageBurn. It starts off a 2.8 then increases as it gets further along (inner groove to outer groove?).

Again, just be careful with the USB cable you use. I had a few lying around that wouldn't let the PC properly detect the burner. Took an old Belkin USB 2.0 cable from my printer and it worked better. USB 1.1/2.0 cables are supposed to be universal so there is no visual reference to indicate a cable can handle the higher data rate (except USB 3.0 which are coded blue).

Update: Spoke too soon, had a verify error towards the end of the disc (on LG). Could be the discs, writes at max 2x on the Panasonic connected to ultrabay.
    http://club.myce.com/f142/panasonic-uj-240-question-317894/
    Ok, must have been the discs since another burned at 2x but also failed to verify with the 6x LTH discs (on the LG). I had one more of the older 2x LTH and that burned/verified just fine (On the LG). Panasonic UJ240 reported 6x LTH max speed was 2x. It burned and verified okay. 2 out of 4 failures, no success at 6x, returning this cake to amazon and ordered some 6x from digistor. Hope that set will be better.

10. thooper

thooper Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, all. Was reading through this thread and pursued installing the UJ240AS in my W520. Initially it worked fine. However I just discovered that it no longer is accessible. When I look at the hardware configuration the drive is showing an error "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.