1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Blinking Orange LED...what does this mean/what to do?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bryank89, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryank89

bryank89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can someone please explain to me the various color and blinking patterns of the battery led.

When I first powered it on this evening the LED was flashing orange and the system tray indicator noted that the ultrabay battery had 0% charge and was not charging. I decided until I can figure this thing out to power down and let the battery charge. After shutting down the laptop and letting it sit for about 5 minutes the LED has gone from a constant orange blinking to....Orange for 3 second, fast blink, orange for 3 seconds, fast blink and so on.

What does all this mean?

Also, while the laptop was running I was not prompted with any sort of error messages or battery charge indicator messages.

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. acaurora

acaurora Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I actually addressed this situation directly to one of the leaders in Lenovo's design division. He addressed it in his blog:

http://www.lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=79

In my honest opinion, I really still stand by my opinion that it is better to follow a more conventional approach to this LED behavior, whereas he stands by the opinion that the conventional approach probably would be too distracting and does not appeal to the business image. I personally believe that this feature / detail is insignificant on the overall image. But then again, I am not leading product design teams. (Read the comments - most agree with me though)

3. Tailic

Tailic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I also think its better to have the light solid and only have it blink at critical times when on battery life. Nothing would be more annoying to have a green blinking light in a dark room, just like having VCR clock that wasn't set.

4. acaurora

acaurora Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I know! Ugh... why dont they see this?! =[

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.