Blade stealth Late 2018

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Dec 4, 2018.

1. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm curious, what makes it bad and is it just a poor design that you don't think will cool it properly / could have been made more efficient or both?

I'm just wondering if what we can see in the photos is enough to cool the 15W CPU and 25W GPU properly under load.

I have a X1 Carbon 6th gen that I've had since release. Great screen and keys but the thermals are terrible. I've been wanting to replace it with another ultrabook with similar characteristics plus better cooling but haven't found such device yet.

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had MX150 ultrabook from xiaomi once, it was my worst experience on a laptop since my first Geforce laptop in 2006, idk maybe because they’re new in this world but problems and problems, if some people say that they can make fried egg on Blade, on my MX150 I would say I could grill bbq:D
    I’m also curious on how new stealth handling the gaming temperature, can’t wait users review, maybe this weekend or next week will be out since in US seemly it’s already shipped.

3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This laptop seems too little to late - and downgrades some things from the original Stealth (no 1440p, no touch 1080p, less ports, RGB replaced with single colour backlighting).

I don't know if I would prefer it to an XPS 9370 tbh, does anyone know if the 1080p screen is 400 nit like the XPS 13 or the bog standard 300 nit that most others are selling? It appears still bigger than the XPS 13 and the MX150 is something to avoid rather than rejoice. Not great considering the XPS 9370 is almost a year old and this doesn't really compete that well with it - the XPS 9380 is probably due to come out next month too.

4. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having just got a blade 15 advanced and it being incredibly small and light, i dont know why theres a 13" laptop!

BUT its cheaper, a bit smaller and people dont always want to carry a big powerful GPU. So this will probably sell well against the macbook pro 13" i guess!

5. Joikansai

Reputations:
    I think that downgrade is also for better temperature beside battery life. On 4K option with letting per key rgb will kill battery more, and some user may use maximum hardware for the resolution that may make hotter.
    Unfortunately xps 13 doesn’t come with iris graphic anymore, even yes like on MacBook Pro gpu performance still way lower than MX150. Yes it is slightly smaller and lighter though, for those who doesn’t need better gpu on the go or without egpu setting xps still better value, actually hdmi port is being replaced by usb C that I think could also run monitor beside charging, if it’s only charging port, yes it’s a downgrade.
    If it has similar build quality with MacBook like my 2016 v2, stealth mx150 is no brain choice over MacBook imo.

Darkhan likes this.
  6. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Papusan despises (as do @Mr. Fox and others) BGA chips. But not to open that can of worms here, CPU and GPU chips are generally rectangular in shape and consequently, it is considered best practice to mount the heatsink with at least four anchor points (one for each corner of the chip) to get even pressure. Low or uneven mounting pressure can result in diminished heat transfer to the heatsink, uneven temperature among the chip (cases of high temperature deltas among cores on the CPU, for example) or accelerated degradation of thermal interface material (paste, grease, liquid metal, etc.).
    The best solution to this problem would be to have the design of the notebook include all the necessary anchor points/screws. Maybe this heatsink is rigid and balanced enough to not require them? Testing will demonstrate that.
    Another solution would be to compensate for the unevenness by sanding the heatsink and using a thick/viscous thermal paste. @Falkentyne knows a lot more about this.

Hope this helps!

Papusan likes this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Eh? Not on these laptops.
    But thick pastes with good w/mk rating are good. Runny pastes are not.

Papusan likes this.
  8. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just found this video on YouTube that's a hands on walk through at Razer's HQ in San Francisco by a Razer guy.

There is a shot / rendering (starts at 2:43) of the internals where it looks like the cooling solution is a vapor chamber that resembles what they did on the blade 15.

I'm wondering what they ended up putting in the retail / final version of this stealth 19...

Joikansai and Arondel like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vapor chamber ain't always enough. The 2018 line Alienware use Vapor chamber as well with awful temp results. And if its a Vapor chamber it is only a VP heatspreader version (exactly same as the Alienware's use). Good to lift up the heat from the pure die but has to rely on how good the pipes, fans and grills are.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Joikansai, Mr. Fox and Darkhan like this.
  10. Joikansai

Reputations:
    It’s pretty Blade 15, mini version, I think that will be only on MX150 model, there’s a bit weight difference between igpu and dgpu model and 15 watt cpu doesn’t really need that imo.
    Just curious about bottom lid, if it’s really sturdy as he said since on its big brother i feel I can bend it easily, it feels thinner than old version that I feel great solid.