Blade 15 Optical - My thoughts

Discussion in 'Razer' started by rb6freak, Jan 27, 2020.

1. rb6freak

rb6freak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I took ownership of the Blade 15 Optical keyboard a few weeks ago. I'm really enjoying using and thought I'd share my experience.

I've owned just about every Blade type from the original 17, Edge pro, through today's latest 13, 15 and 17's, about a dozen in total. My favorite to date has been the 14" 6700/7700HQ model as I find it the most enjoyable to handle and use. While I enjoyed the performance boost of the 15" 8750h 1070q 144hz, I couldn't tolerate the keyboard travel distance as well as the arrows/shift key positioning and passed that laptop onto my son. I tried the 17" when that one came out and returned it 2 days later - I had hoped the keyboard would have been better on a 17" chassis but it was no different. I had given up on this keyboard type until this optical release. I still hate the right shift key and arrow key layout - The 14" chassis keyboard layout is the best in my opinion. Back to the new 15" optical - it's fantastic to type on. I average the same typing WPM on the new optical as my desktop keyboard where as the regular 15" I average about 10-12 less and the 14" about 3-5 less WPM. I'm probably one of the few, if not only, who doesn't like the secondary function keys backlit. So this is a bonus for me on the Blade optical. In my opinion - it just doesn't look as clean with secondary backlit functions and there is more light bleed-through on the edges of the keys with that additional LED in those keys. To each his own.

While the thicker chassis isn't very appealing to handle this laptop, I am pleasantly surprised that Razer has reintroduced the black coating on the vapor chamber / heatsink in this model. My only hopes for future revisions are WQHD display and reverting the right shift / arrow keys back to 14" layout.

Here are some photos of the new 15" optical, the original 15" and the 14".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joikansai, alaskajoel and Muezick like this.
  2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you so much!

Can't find enough people talking about this system. This gives me hope for the 2020 RB15 ... which I intend on buying later this year provided it has 3000 series graphics in it.

Very good to hear. Hopefully they'll roll out the Optical Keyboard to all their systems going forward.

3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Can you confirm this machine has a mux like the new late 2019 17"? There should be an option in synapse under the performance tab that allows you to run it in dedicated graphics only mode after a reboot. If true, this machine becomes even more interesting for many folks. :)

4. rb6freak

Reputations:
    Can confirm. Bios option under Chipset called "GPU MODE" with 2 options; Dedicated GPU only and NVIDIA Optimus

alaskajoel likes this.
  5. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But it doesn't have gsync does it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does this mean the unit has Gsync? Or is the sole purpose to mitigate the performance hit that happens with Optimus?

7. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Im pretty sure it doesn't otherwise they would advertise the **** out of it. But just to be sure..... Let's wait for an owner

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

8. rb6freak

Reputations:
    Hmm, just checked - no GSYNC option when using dedicated GPU only. I even reloaded drivers to be sure. However, I did notice further brightness level adjustments are available and the monitor can get way darker at the lowest level and appears even brighter to me at the max level. Interesting...

Muezick and CedricFP like this.
  9. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder if this means we can expect G-Sync on future models.

10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    No Razer Blade has g-sync. The purpose of dedicated GPU mode only is a great feature though. So you don't have to worry about a Laptop not using the NVIDIA gpu. And yes I've had hands on experience.;)

Darkhan likes this.