Blade 15 2020

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Apr 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Evertbie

Evertbie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For me one reason to get the 17” would be the second drive option...that was the main purpose previously since I have a large steam collection...besides this the additional ethernet port is not really necessary and the 2020 15” blade now has the SD card slot...if they could just squeeze another ssd slot inside...it would be perfect

2. nyichiban

nyichiban Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea I ended up getting the 17 inch just for the extra slot. I could have gotten the non advanced version for the extra nvme but didn't want another 2070 GPU. Glad I got the 17 it's not that much bigger when I have the blade 15 hidden but next to each other you notice the difference but honestly not bad.

3. TheodoreT

TheodoreT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Evertbie since you have an OLED blade 2020, can you check whether you have the following issue https://insider.razer.com/index.php?threads/do-you-guys-get-this-in-your-blades-as-well.55990/ . In two new blades OLED 2019 (in the first one the OLED screen was replaced twice) I've got it (I've just got a replacement, which still has the issue). I am curious to see whether it was fixed or not in your batch line.

You need to put your logo toggle to "Breathing" from synapse and you might need to increase your volume to max.

4. Evertbie

Evertbie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will check it out when I have time

5. TheodoreT

TheodoreT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure, no worries.

6. omega5384

omega5384 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone here figure out the best ram to buy. I want to upgrade to 32gb but don't want to be stuck at 2666 or 2400

7. ShortBtwnHdset

ShortBtwnHdset Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Everyone! Been a while since I've visited these forums (1 gaming laptop since sig, a Dell Inspiron 15 SE). Good to be back!

Anyway, just ordered the advanced version of this laptop direct from Razer. 8 core, rtx-2070SmaxQ, w/ 1080P 300hz screen. So I hope to learn a few things here! Anyway, hope to chat with ya'll soon!

8. ShortBtwnHdset

Reputations:
    So, I'm hoping someone here might have some experience with the Blade laptops and a Core Chroma eGPU. There is a certain performance hit you get from using TB3 external graphics, but I'm having a hard time getting context to compare. I'm making a ome base gaming station. I'm using a 32" curved external 2k display at 144hz. I'll be using the eGPU with a GTX 1080 temporarily, not because the 2070SMaxQ couldn't handle it, but more to relieve the cooling system from max heat loads for long gaming sessions. The best I can figure, frame rates should be similar, but i could be totally off here. Anyone tried similar and tested?

One other question about refresh rates, the advanced is a 300hz display. Can it be run at 144? In other words, can you set refresh rate like you can on a desktop display?

ETA is Tuesday for my laptop, at least by Razers' site. Didn't know it would be coming direct from Hong Kong!

All of you have a great weekend!!!

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you’re uncomfortable with hot temperatures just disable the turbo boost, it’ll give you a lot thermal improvement not as good as egpu setting though but Gaming performance still better on dgpu compared to TB3 egpu, on top of that you save a lot money, I’d invest that on a good 1440p external. Idk about 144Hz on 300 hz panel, since don’t have 2020 model but why would you downgrade that refresh rate? For battery life however you should be able go to 60hz.

10. ShortBtwnHdset

Reputations:
    Hi Joikansai! Thanks for your response and experience. The curved gaming monitor I already own, an MSI 32” at 1440p, so I’m trying to run that at 144hz. It’s my mainstay for gaming. The GTX 1080 is also part of that rig, and has been running it and 2 other 1080p monitors fine. I would only use the 2 extra monitors when not gaming. I’m trying to pare my electronics down using the Razer, get rid of the desktop tower at home and a latitude laptop I thoroughly hate at work. When I’m at work , razer would plug into an external dock (Dell WD-15) and expand desktop to a 2nd 1080p display. Just spreadsheets and web surfing, might even be able to charge from USB C (only 80watts, though). Take the Razer home, dock it, and game on my big display. Only times I would game untethered would be on business trips. Or at least that was my thinking.

It might sound like I'm paranoid about heat, and to a degree I am. Long term, it and accidents are what kill gamer laptops in my experience. On trips, for light gaming sessions, the blade will do great. That's its purpose. But for longevity, it would be nice to offload some of its' heat load onto an eGPU. The GTX1080 will stay until the upcoming RTX 30 series floods the used market with low priced 2080's. That's how I usually upgrade my desktop, last generations high tier graphics at used prices, a best value scenario. (Yeah, I know, talking best value and Razer laptops at the same time is kinda contradictory). I just want this laptop to last if I can help it. I've gotten about 4 to 6 years out of each gaming laptop I bought. The Dell I currently have has been showing it's age for a couple of years now.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020