BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    It's easier and more profitable to steal information from people who think they are safe.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

raz8020, Ashtrix, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Very true. And, the people that say security is most important are the people that have no idea how severely modern notebooks malfunction running stock voltage. Their usability is severely impaired due to extreme overheating. Some malfunction to the point of becoming practically unusable. I suppose we should all blame Intel for that as well, LOL.

Security is always secondary to functionality to me and many others. If my system gets locked down by firmware so it seems more secure to someone who doesn't own it or use it, then I no longer have any use for it. It becomes totally worthless to me, cannot serve the purposes for which I have it, and there is no longer any point in owning it. The removal of functionality effectively renders it a broken product and something that should be discarded as rubbish.

So, I maintain my assertion that any firmware changes that impact functionality in the name of security need to be fully disclosed and deployed on an opt-in basis only. Those that prefer functionality can have it their way, and those that care only about security can have it their way. Nobody has any right to mess with property that isn't theirs to mess with, regardless of what their opinion is about the importance of security (or the hypothetical lack thereof).
    There is a place for that. You should have that feature for your business purposes if you want or need it. Likewise, the rest of us should have the ability to say no if we don't want or need it. We shouldn't be ruining one group's computers for the sake of another group's computers. That would be a really stupid and irrational thing to do, and there would be plenty of reason for those negatively affected by it to be extremely upset because of it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    raz8020, Rei Fukai, Ashtrix and 4 others like this.
  3. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And that is actually a great thing! And we should all thank manufacturers for this, because if you have no use for it, it means you wont use it, and that means you wont be a threat to everyone around you (on a network, yourself, or on the internet). Security is never an opt-in thing, I suppose you DONT even know what is SGX used for, what Spectre and Meltdown actually does, you just care about you, no one else, that´s pretty selfish and I´d be grateful if you would just stop using computers and go back to pen and paper. Thank you.

PS: Intel never advertised ANY over/undervolting capabilities, it´s just a feature they gave, and now they taken, if you are unsatisfied with the product, sell it, choose something else, there are plenty of alternatives on the market.

Che0063 likes this.
  4. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Spoken like an article from The Verge.

Eason, Rei Fukai, TBoneSan and 3 others like this.
  5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I think 10th Gen Intel would agree.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Wow, I guess we do really have something in common after all. We both don't care about what anyone else wants.

Where we differ is, I want people to have what they want even when I don't care about what they want. There is a subtle difference. You want people to have what you want them to have whether they like it or not. Dictatorships never work well. If you really want computers and the internet to be more secure, we need to implement capital punishment for hackers and data collectors on a global scale. Then we can all live in harmony with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

oh-no-another-28bb24efd2.jpg hey-guess-what-ftxuvq.jpg

raz8020, Rei Fukai, TBoneSan and 3 others like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Either lock all out or let the users determine what they prefer. Will it be a more secure world if the unlocked chips get the proper options to allow Voltage adjustments?

upload_2019-12-31_3-27-16.png

Is it ok that Microsoft determine that you should be locked out while many others is still allowed to make voltage adjustments? Will this increase security for all? What if you run Win 8/8.1 or Win 7? Will those get the new microcode patches via Win update?

raz8020, Eason, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, and definitely a step in the right direction. If they want to do the right thing they will allow CPU voltage to be modified on anyone's system that wants to be able to modify the voltage. If they do not allow that, they need to give everyone that purchased a turdbook that ends up locked a full refund of their original purchase price because all of them will be perma-broken with severe overheating problems. The only reason any of them are marginally usable without major complications is because they can be undervolted.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The SGX feature work exactly equal for all systems. If SGX is enabled it shouldn't matter if you run a unlocked chips or not.

"The patch can only be integrated at the Bios level, which means that users will have to install Bios updates as they become available from manufacturers. Unfortunately, since Bios updates are never installed automatically, many people will remain vulnerable to this exploit until they upgrade to a new motherboard"
    https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/intel-fixes-dangerous-plundervolt-vulnerability/

I'm 100% sure Intel will allow Voltage tuning for coming chips. If you buy a computer from any company who "lock you out from Voltage tuning" in their models... Vote with your wallets!
    VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT.jpg

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Apparently, the person that said that hasn't been paying attention. [[[ Flashes dirty look at Dell/Alienware for having their cancer BIOS revisions automatically pushed through Micro$lop Updates. ]]]

But, because it is mostly true that it requires a deliberate act, only those that don't know any better will accidentally flash their systems with malicious firmware updates. After all, "newer is always better" (not). It will be unfortunate for those that buy systems with the cancer version pre-applied from the factory though.

I see an opportunity to make some extra money fixing broken computers with blocked firmware downgrades using an SPI programmer.

raz8020, Ashtrix, electrosoft and 2 others like this.