BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's happened to me before. I set all the Windows Update stuff in O&O to enabled, then reboot, and then set them all off again - and reboot again (kills the Update Service).

You can do both O&O and WPD at once, but it gets tricky.

I'm using only WPD right now and that seems to be working.

After an Update is let through you have to go back and recheck the settings in WPD and / or O&O do that same reset thing, reboot, set it all again, and reboot.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The new microcode is intended to stop voltage adjustments. Most likely a fast fix. Intel can provide proper fix later with more work.

The big problem is the OEM/ODMs who doesn’t want put time into creating awesome.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    raz8020, Vasudev, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, the exact opposite. After patching a system with SGX enabled the voltage control will be disabled because SGX creates the vulnerability with voltage control. Or, so they say. Systems that do not include SGX are not vulnerable, so there is no reason for them to be patched with cancer microcode.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00289.html

But, that is not current state. On a system with no Plundervolt mitigation firmware applied turning SGX on or off has no bearing on voltage control. I say the best solution is for Intel to require that all laptop OEMs use firmware to make the menu to disable SGX available in the BIOS. Problem immediately solved for everyone that doesn't care about SGX... just disable it. Since the day it was invented I have disabled it by default because I have no use for it. @Prema BIOS always has it available to disable and so do all respectable desktop motherboards.

raz8020, Rei Fukai, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  4. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have no lockout on mine, so what does that mean?

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Some HP laptops are the first ones being hit by this "new feature".

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...not-work-on-hp-elitebook-x360-1040-g6.262487/

Most users do not update their bios on a regular basis so most laptops will receive the Intel microcode update via Windows Update. Last year it took about 5 months between the time Intel released a microcode update to the time that Microsoft started force feeding the new microcode onto user's computers through Windows Update.

If an OEM allows a user to disable SGX in the bios, will the microcode update be smart enough to allow voltage adjustments? Maybe, maybe not. The microcode update only needs to set a single bit in a single CPU register to disable voltage and turbo ratio control. Will the microcode update check for SGX status before setting this lock bit or will it just ride roughshod and kill under volting for all laptops?

Even my Haswell might get caught up in this take down. Good medicine for all, whether you need it or not.

Here is a list of microcode updates that come to you via Windows Update.

Windows 10 - 1903
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4497165/kb4497165-intel-microcode-updates

Here are some links to similar information for earlier Windows 10 versions.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

These lists include the microcode update revision number which you can compare to the microcode number listed in the FIVR window of ThrottleStop, to the right of the PowerCut feature. My Haswell still allows voltage control with microcode 0x27. The next microcode update after this, not so sure.

[​IMG]

Think of this problem like it is a tsunami. It is nice and quiet right now but there are some big problems on the horizon. Many laptops and their owners are going to be screwed over when this finally hits.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    raz8020, Ashtrix, electrosoft and 6 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    And, if Linux developers are idiots of the ilk that share the irrational belief that "newer is always better" the same brain-dead procedural implementation of cancer microcode will screw everyone running Linux.

Time to cut the cord folks. Decide whether you want to continue enjoying the Micro$lop Store digital feces or prefer to have a system that works right. If you prefer the latter, grab WUB, O&O, WPD and open up your services with NSudo and start killing things before it's too late. If the notion of security is too compelling, just sit back and do nothing... let the Redmond Retards push the cancer code to your electronic slop bucket. But, please don't whine and moan about anything when the crap hits the fan.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why is this ANY Microsoft fault?
    You just wine a little bit too much and use a little bit to much the cancer and poop words, could you refrain that?....

Its another fault in Intel CPU's, and the micro-code is to be updated on all affected systems, because it IS a security issue, Microsoft, Apple, or Canonical or Red Hat won't cover their ears and then get reamed if ONE big costumer gets hit by malware that took advantage of some CPU fault that should be corrected with a micro-code update, but they decided that it wasn't right to do so, because the end user likes to call them names and security is dumb..

No sane OS company will leave systems unpatched, more so on OS's made to run as VM hypervisors were the risk of data loss is much bigger and can affect a lot more people.

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2019-microcode-nov
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/intel-microcode
    https://usn.ubuntu.com/3977-1/
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107

Ashtrix, Che0063, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, let's circle back on this again after everyone's turdbooks are overheating and running like crap because they can no longer undervolt. How 'bout dat?

Security is worth nothing when functionality is lost. Any firmware or software updates that result in loss of functionality should be optional. When you get it whether you want it or not it is cancer and feces. Let those that wish to opt in do so.

Rei Fukai, TBoneSan, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    It really becomes an illusion of choice.

10. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally someone with common sense, not just a kid who thinks his notebook is center of the universe and earth rotates around it. Plundervolt is a security vuln, simple as that. I will take secure system over ability to adjust CPU any day, blame intel, not manufacturers, we use SGX in our corporate apps a lot, we would lose more money if the enclave was broken somehow, same with bitlocker.

Che0063, hfm and tilleroftheearth like this.