BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have 15 inch Omen from 2018 with i7-8750 and undervolting is broken: latest BIOS no go, I went back to BIOS from 2018, I reset the BIOS and I deleted mcupdateintel.dll and still underolting not working. Any other suggestions? Because I'm getting really pissed. I can see microcode is changed to old and it should work, but it doesn't, damn stupid intel and hp.
    BTW I hope you guys don't get fooled: on my system only CPU core doesn't work, all other voltage adjustments work fine, including cache and even HWinfo shows offset for core voltage set, except it doesn't sets and even if I set offset to -1 volt computer doesn't crash

2. DerMarkus

DerMarkus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Pls add to the list:
    Dell Precision 7730 - bios 1.13.1 implements CVE-2019-11157

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. Lem_Vens

Lem_Vens Newbie

Reputations:
    Please add Lenovo Yoga 730-15IWL to the list.
    The latest BIOS update (version 2.07) has locked CPU voltage control. I cannot return the previous version of BIOS, because Lenovo does not publish archived versions of BIOS on the website for my laptop model.

4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sure it's been discussed but at a very less than desirable method, Asus has implemented an option to undervolt to a max of -80mv in the BIOS of some of their newer ROG laptops, such as my current Asus GU502L.. It's still infuriating because it's just as stable as stock with -80mv and I know there's more I can squeeze out of this i7-10785H to further lower temps and there's no other way to do it.

However, I plan to see if I can dump the BIOS and edit it and find out if there's a way to unlock the BIOS further by disabling SGX or something and or just opening up the undervolt options all together. May be fruitless and I may end up bricking the machine with a re-flash but i'll be damned and determined.

I'm still a fanboy of Intel laptops because of Undervolting all together since there's no easy way or reliable way to undervolt or control TDP with Ryzen stuff on mobile so there's that.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It seems you'll never ever get the answers you asked for....
    [​IMG]

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-2350#post-11053886

6. Lakshya

Lakshya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Something's probably wrong in that AW dugout for sure, seeing many drop outs lately (though Azor was kinda just passionate about getting into AMD).

Also, apart from Alienware, I also tried to talk to one of the guys at ROG Technical Team about removing the -80 mV undervolt limit (on 10th Gen ROG laptops, Asus allows UV limited to -80 mV). He mentioned two things.

1. That -80 mV limit is governed by Intel.

2. When I asked why other manufacturers like XMG and so on impose no restrictions on the UV and others like Asus have so many restrictions, he said:

"Each company has different requests and are able to do slightly different variations under guidance from intel/amd/Nvidia. I’m not sure what that brand's policy is with regards to undervolting but perhaps they are willing to accept the risk of allowing more undervolting. But sure, we’ve been an advocate for allowing users to undervolt and have always allowed this option in bios. The feedback will be forwarded to the relevant groups."

As far as I know, Plundervolt vulnerability is exploitable only through software means. So if UV is allowed only through BIOS (without any restriction) and XTU interface is not exposed to the user, no exploit can work at all. So even if OEMs are so skeptical about UV, are they not intelligent enough to understand such a small observation? And what purpose does that -80 mV serve in the first place? And I'm pretty sure, Intel has no business with that -80 mV limit. That's just a petty excuse IMO to evade questions from customers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Papusan, Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Undervolting on Intel Laptops in 2020: this is what you need to know! | XMG Support! Igorslab.com

State of Undervolting in 2020...

Pushback from the community

Naturally, there is some inertia in the industry – so it took months before users of various brands started noticing new Undervolting-blocking firmware updates. Usually those come in the form of an optional BIOS update, but there also have been reports of systems having automatically been patched over Windows Updates. But the biggest push against Undervolting came with the release of a new generation of Intel CPUs. A new generation of high-end mobile chipsets called “Comet Lake H” was announced in April this year. By this time, all OEMs have gotten Intel’s memo and most of them chose to disable Undervolting in new Comet Lake systems from Day 1.

This naturally generated some pushback with outspoken community members voicing their concerns over the lack of choice and ownership. After all, it should be up to the end-users if they prioritize security over performance, especially considering the very niche practical usage scenario of the ‘Plundervolt’ exploit. One of the rallying points of this community response was a thread on Notebookreview, where users assembled a list of reports and system model names which got locked out of Undervolting with these new updates.
    In April, we at Schenker also reached out to ODMs and to various contacts in Intel, digging for information and advocating for a more measured approach on this issue. Since then, it looks like the situation has become a little bit more dynamic. We managed to convince our ODM to unlock Undervolting for all of our new Comet Lake based systems (with currently one single exception: XMG ULTRA 17) and we have also seen some other system vendors to follow suite. But when you buy a random Intel-based laptop in 2020, there is no guarantee that Undervolt will work. It will be down to each individual system and BIOS version – buyer’s beware!

It still amaze me that noone from Alienware community has rebelled hard and demanded a response from the Dell support team in their own playyard (dell.com/community).
    3 pages filled with the same mess and still not a single reply back from Dell support... 17 R5, BIOS 1.11.0, no undervolting

They avoid the topic completely and never reply back. Most likely learned or been told by those on the top. See my post #124!

@unclewebb @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix @jc_denton @Donald@zTecpc @Fire Tiger @Arrrrbol @c69k +++ Nice seeing Notebookreview Forum also is mentioned:)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Ashtrix, Lakshya, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    A person of ordinary intelligence needs only to pay attention to identify the slogan is false narrative. Dell cares about Dell. What customers want only matters when it is what they want.

Hogwash... poppycock... nonsense... choose your own adjective.

[​IMG]

Lakshya, Ashtrix, jc_denton and 3 others like this.
  9. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Papusan can you clarify this:

"We managed to convince our ODM to unlock Undervolting for all of our new Comet Lake based systems (with currently one single exception: XMG ULTRA 17)"

Does XMG mean that the single exception wasn't necessary since the Ultra 17 already has a K processor? Or is Intel now setting its sights on K processors as well? Meaning you are blued and tatooed if you buy the Ultra thinking you can take control of voltage.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Not sure. Maybe because it use desktop processors. Intel doesn't force the manufacturers to disable Undervolting. And from what I have seen... SGX will be removed from coming Rocket lake if this rumors is true. I mean it's still there in 11th gen Tiger Mobile.
    upload_2020-11-3_18-39-11.png
    A big advantage for those that prefer performance above security. And Plundervolt isn't what you should be most afraid of.