BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have 15 inch Omen from 2018 with i7-8750 and undervolting is broken: latest BIOS no go, I went back to BIOS from 2018, I reset the BIOS and I deleted mcupdateintel.dll and still underolting not working. Any other suggestions? Because I'm getting really pissed. I can see microcode is changed to old and it should work, but it doesn't, damn stupid intel and hp.
    BTW I hope you guys don't get fooled: on my system only CPU core doesn't work, all other voltage adjustments work fine, including cache and even HWinfo shows offset for core voltage set, except it doesn't sets and even if I set offset to -1 volt computer doesn't crash

2. DerMarkus

DerMarkus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Pls add to the list:
    Dell Precision 7730 - bios 1.13.1 implements CVE-2019-11157

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. Lem_Vens

Lem_Vens Newbie

Reputations:
    Please add Lenovo Yoga 730-15IWL to the list.
    The latest BIOS update (version 2.07) has locked CPU voltage control. I cannot return the previous version of BIOS, because Lenovo does not publish archived versions of BIOS on the website for my laptop model.

4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sure it's been discussed but at a very less than desirable method, Asus has implemented an option to undervolt to a max of -80mv in the BIOS of some of their newer ROG laptops, such as my current Asus GU502L.. It's still infuriating because it's just as stable as stock with -80mv and I know there's more I can squeeze out of this i7-10785H to further lower temps and there's no other way to do it.

However, I plan to see if I can dump the BIOS and edit it and find out if there's a way to unlock the BIOS further by disabling SGX or something and or just opening up the undervolt options all together. May be fruitless and I may end up bricking the machine with a re-flash but i'll be damned and determined.

I'm still a fanboy of Intel laptops because of Undervolting all together since there's no easy way or reliable way to undervolt or control TDP with Ryzen stuff on mobile so there's that.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.