BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You left out some of the quote:
    "While multiple OEMs have disabled undervolting on new and existing machines, Intel has re-enabled the functionality on its Whitebook LAPQC71. Colloquially called the QC71, the laptop is one of Intel's reference design laptops released under multiple names"

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Exactly. Intel is not going to sell something they developed that is broken. They would be really stupid to do that.

Further, Intel is also not requiring that the other OEMs disable undervolting and ultimately sell broken garbage. The OEMs are making a decision to do that. Some are even going a step further and retroactively breaking products that they already sold by deploying cancerous firmware updates rather than allowing their customers to make their own decisions.

It is a lack of regard for their customers and taking the lazy way out by the OEMs that are electing to carte blanche and arbitrarily disable undervolting. It's easy to take a Procrustean approach to things by releasing a cancer firmware update with no end-user configuration options in it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I won't deny that OEMs are to blame, but so is Intel. Intel writes the bios for these laptops, and Intel was the one who removed the undervolting initially. It probably took push back from the resellers to actually fix this.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think you're probably 100% correct about push-back from resellers having something to do with it.

Companies like Eluktronics, Maingear and XMG actually care about products that bear their names and the people that buy them. Some of other less well-known (not mainstream) boutique brands also care equally... EVOC, XOTICPC, Sager/Schenker and other sub-branded Clevos are the obvious examples.

The people that I feel sorry for are the mainstream consumers that buy from HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc. that are getting shafted royally. They are buying so-called "gaming notebooks" with their man parts removed, (or being later castrated with a cancer BIOS update,) simply because the people that made what they purchased are making bad decisions or just not caring enough to do the right thing.

miloaisdua and custom90gt like this.
  5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And another one bites the dust..
    Asus FX705 series, forced BIOS update from a capsule and undervolt is disabled..
    At least they didn't lock anything, flashed my modded BIOS with FPTW and its all back to working, already disabled firmware updates on the BIOS so this crap doesn't happen again.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Is this another one for the list? Or, is it some other HP firmware cancer going on?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-omen-15-and-17-owners-lounge.808312/page-31#post-11035637

Damn. ASUS is doing those Satanic laptop BIOS updates through Micro$lop Updates like Dellienware too now? If so, that's just way messed up. There has to be some way of permanently removing or otherwise damaging that feature in the firmware so it cannot ever be re-enabled again. This kind of crap really pisses me off. Should be against the law to push firmware with Windows Updates without explicit knowledge, consent and full disclosure of the outcome to the owner. They should force scrolling through detailed release notes, receiving an SMS text code to enter, then another layer of 2FA and finally have to read the release notes a second time and then do one of those stupid captcha things before a firmware update occurs over the internet.

But, congrats on fixing it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can report that the Alienware M17 R3 voltages/clock speed is unlocked in the i9-10980HK variant.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's good. Perhaps because the 10980HK has built-in Plundervolt mitigation?

9. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They do brag about the voltage regulation on the machine. If I remember correctly, I saw up to about 140W of power throughput on the i9-10980HK processor when power limit was lifted. It couldn't sustain that power throughput because of thermal throttling without extra help from laptop cooling, repaste job I'm sure though. Maybe not even then, I didn't try to push it to the limits at all.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. OMEN 17-cb0009nl

OMEN 17-cb0009nl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can report the latest BIOS (F.30) on my HP OMEN 17-cb0009nl (11/2019 model, i7-9750, RTX 2070 full) doesn't have the plundervolt update.
    I can undervolt just fine with TS version 8.70, like previously.