BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    raz8020 and Ashtrix like this.
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Intel IME also got updated from what I can tell, I had a stripped down 1923.12.0.1278 installed. But now device manager shows 1914.12.0.1256 installed.
    -185mV wouldn't boot into windows, so I ended up doing a fn+d cmos reset. And at least it boots up into windows with my old settings including the -185mv undervolt. I havent tested stability but this update is not listed in either update history or reliability monitor.

Which is kinda nasty as it's using Intel Platform Update (IPU) that directly updates IME firmware.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Ashtrix and hmscott like this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    It's the same, and don't only look at the installer package version http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-drivers-updates.782418/page-40#post-10924911

4. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Ashtrix, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Could be ram if you have it oc'd. It can be any thing. Don't forget take a look into reliability monitor once in a while. And be sure you know what Intel microcode version you run:vbthumbsup: Don't forget close the door:vbbiggrin: No need for e key!
    [​IMG]

6. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Shouldn't be the ram, I did a complete cmos reset with removed battery when reverting to my cl14 3333 settings. This whole spectacle only began after I connected the system to the internet..

A little update, instead of not booting into windows at -185mV it's giving a random Clock_watchdog_timeout error. AFAIK its voltage related?

hmscott likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah. Try -5mv less.

hmscott and jc_denton like this.
  8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And why did Intel go nuclear with this?

If the exploit needs to tweak voltage at a fine and fast pace, just limit the slew-rate at something only 10mV change per 30 secs, with a set value at boot, so slower pace to find ideal undervolt, still works at boot, no more exploit..

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Security. Some people use SGX. Some that use it actually know that it exists and do it on purpose.

Those that do not use it stand a 1:100,000,000 chance of someone using "Plundervolt" vulnerability to exploit their PC. Instead of requiring all BIOS updates include a switch to enable SGX and toggle voltage control for those that want it, the bright idea is to play Nazi with the majority and screw things up for everyone whether they care or not. Apparently, God went on vacation and left them in charge.

In other words:
    [​IMG]

raz8020, Ashtrix, jc_denton and 2 others like this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok I'm confused here.
    If you disable SGX in your BIOS, you won't have voltage control in windows (regardless of what you're using?).
    Or is it just the firmware update that makes it stop working?

hmscott likes this.