BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, and add in the more power efficient AMD chips won't help (No Plundervolt patch needed) http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...laris-navi-gpus.799348/page-776#post-11022782
    [​IMG]
    You need proper heat protective gloves if you spend time on it. Maybe Dell should add with a external keyboard?

tilleroftheearth and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Thanks. +reps All 4 models added into the list of shame!
    HP Zbook 15 G6
    HP ZBook 17 G5
    Surface Laptop 3
    Hp pavilion 15-cx0056wm gaming laptop

Preview from OP post...
    1) All G Series Gaming Laptops from Dell
    2) Microsoft Surface Pro 7
    3) HP Elitebook 840 G6
    4) Acer Predator Helios 300
    5) HP Probook 440 G5
    6) Dell XPS 15 7590
    7) Dell Alienware m15
    8) Dell Alienware m17
    9) Dell XPS 15 9570
    10) Asus GX502
    11) Asus GU502
    12) ASUS GL704GW
    13) Dell Precision 7540
    14) Dell Precision 7740
    15) Dell Inspiron 15 7577
    16) HP Zbook 15 G6
    17) HP ZBook 17 G5
    18) Surface Laptop 3
    19) Hp pavilion 15-cx0056wm gaming laptop

custom90gt and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I haven't updated my firmware, and even if I do, it appears a user here has discovered a workaround to update and still keep undervolt capability.

@Papusan needs to add the previous-gen notebooks, the Dell Precision 7530, 7730, and the next-gen notebooks, the 7550 and 7750 as well.

Like @custom90gt said, this is an Intel problem, first and foremost. *lake is the new GCN, and given Intel has been using more or less the same architecture since 2015, it's almost inevitable that researchers find more and more holes that Intel then has to plug with software and firmware patches.

It used to be a given that you could at least undervolt notebook CPUs without any other voltage control, to manage temperatures, but now it seems like only notebooks with guaranteed voltage control in the BIOS (usually flashy gaming notebooks) will be able to undervolt, here on out.

From the perspective of the OEMs, integrating this microcode patch is important because security > performance. This is even more so in the case of my notebook, which is a workstation typically used in corporate and more secure environments.

Vote with our wallets, I suppose, and buy notebooks with AMD Ryzen 4000 CPUs.

custom90gt likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Will do. Remember post 10 gen notebooks in my new thread for 10th gen laptops.
    BLACK LIST 2. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits locked out - Affected 10th gen notebooks
    You mean vote with our wallets and buy laptops with AMD chips running average Cpu temperatures above 100C and with no undervolt options? More power efficient chips just means the OEM can shrink on the cooling. Not so sure this is an better option. On top you can't get them with the best Nvidia cards.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    That's not what the video says (did you watch it to its entirety?) At any rate, the 4800H outputs ~50 W under maximum load, similar to current Intel CPUs under the long-term power limit. Given the same cooling (shared heatpipes seem to be an increasingly and depressingly common thing nowadays), I would obviously expect the same temperatures. And yet the 4800H performs better than the equivalent Intel CPUs (10750H, 10875H) at higher clock speeds and power draw.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I have watched it. Here is the notebookcheck article...
    Dell G5 15 SE with AMD Ryzen 7 4800H records above 100 °C average CPU temperatures

"With the Dell G5 15 SE running in high-performance mode an average CPU temperature of 103 °C was measured. In combination with a cooling pad, still in high-performance mode, an average temperature of 102 °C was recorded. This latter figure was also reported for stock performance"

None of the OEMs is willing to put in more expencive/better cooling system intended for more than the bare minimum.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Thanks for the article.

Seems like the Asus G15 does much better than the Dell in the cooling department, then (once again, not the fault of the CPU, but the manufacturer).

Papusan likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Most of the issues notebooks have are a direct result of bad decisions and poor execution on the part of OEMs. It is also folly to believe one chipmaker has "safer" chips. The one viewed as being safer simply has not had its vulnerabilities identified yet. Consequently, there has been no opportunity for the media to create a new topic on which to drum up public hysteria. They also tend to be a little more protective of the one that is their darling of the day. The only things we can rely on in life to be constant and consistent are change, media bias and the depravity of the human race influencing everything else in one way or another. Whatever seems good at the moment is only relative and situational goodness.

tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    If those vulnerabilities have not been identified yet, it means those vulnerabilities cannot be exploited yet, which in turn, means that the CPUs are safer, no?
    I personally couldn't care less about the drama that news sites like to create, and try to get my information from a wide variety of sources (even those that I disagree with), so I can make an informed judgement of my own accord, without someone else deciding for me.

Mr. Fox likes this.