BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  2. clarity17

clarity17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is not an isolated incident or "hidden agenda" against Dell, if you own one of these laptops and still on the safeside by all means celebrate but it doesn't negate the truth, and there is indeed a Bios-microcoded update by windows and dell that disables undervolting

It's not just the plundervolt bios update i have issue with, for the last 6 days windows updates are installed and immediately the laptop fans start going crazy after restarting from the update, working on high when there is medium resources usage and i go to the updates panel spend a good 15 minutes to uninstall the updates, restart everything goes back to normal, wait a few days, windows freaking updates downloads the same updates i uninstalled yet again, and considering there is very little info on which update is the one causing the fans to run on high, you have to remove them one by one...:mad:

I exhausted every option there is to eliminate windows updates permanently on a windows 10 home machine to no avail, the updates restart themselves forcibly it's quite ridiculous, i tried to install the Group Policy batch yesterday even that didn't work

I'm okay with laptop, even after the tragic plundervolt with a good re paste the temperatures cooled down, but i am extremely frustrated with the connection and level of control dell allows Windows updates, it's beyond pathetic at this point

Might use a last resort fix, and wipe out windows 10 home along with dell's recovery partition and install a fresh copy of windows 10 professional

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2020
  3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe try Windows 10 LTSC

jc_denton and clarity17 like this.
  4. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if these are the same user but the one from Reddit was able to successfully roll back to 2.0.4, and regained undervolting. I'm positively flummoxed on this. I know I can undervolt, my laptop shipped with 2.4.1. @etern4l has had no issues and I'm sure we're not alone.

My request to the community; can anyone with an Alienware M15 R1 or M17 R1, running BIOS version 2.4.1 and has lost the ability to undervolt, can you send me your BIOS dump? I'd like to compare between two known laptops of each state and see if the issue is there.

5. clarity17

Reputations:
    i can't for the life of me find this default option in bios..

I'll try again today..i'm at 2.0.4..but can't undervolt still

I will try that flashing bios method tomorrow and see what happens

Gumwars likes this.
  6. clarity17

Reputations:
    YESSSSSSSSSS, i'm able to undervolt again, thanks to that user on reddit, and also to etern4l, Papusan and Gumwars

The cold bios boot using ESC + CTRL activated hidden Bios boot menu, which had three options

1 - Recover Bios (Recovers bios to the factory image)
    2 - Reset Bios Defaults (Finally located)
    3 - Rollback Bios

Its funny that i tried to access this hidden bios boot menu on 2.1.4 previously and it didn't work, only once you go down to 2.0.4 does it appear, and the person from reddit had the exact same experience, very strange sequence

So i decided to try the elusive "Reset Bios Defaults" and that was all she wrote, now the voltages are once again available

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    raz8020, pressing, splus and 5 others like this.
  7. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    pressing, Papusan, Duck W and 2 others like this.
  8. clarity17

Reputations:
    Its really beautiful to be able to undervolt again...bloody hell

Temperatures under stress don't cross 85 mark as oppose to scorching hell fire 100c temperatures prior to this messy debacle

I can't imagine owning a gaming laptop without this feature and doing regular heat sink re-pasting

Laptop is feeling cool again:cool:

raz8020, Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Right in time before Dell release their new XPS 15:D +rep

XPS 15 9570 added into the list of shame! It looks like Dell is the bell sheep in how to screw its own customers. Bad News won't come alone. This is todays big News on "how to treat own customers" http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-2131#post-11013116

1) All G Series Gaming Laptops from Dell
    2) Microsoft Surface Pro 7
    3) HP Elitebook 840 G6
    4) Acer Predator Helios 300
    5) HP Probook 440 G5
    6) Dell XPS 15 7590
    7) Dell Alienware m15
    8) Dell Alienware m17
    9) Dell XPS 15 9570

raz8020, Rei Fukai, maffle and 4 others like this.
  10. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For 3000$, you can get rid of your 1 yo machine and enjoy an SD card reader. It's so sad as the 51m is expected to bring Alienware back. Now it's not much different from it's BGA brothers.